AMD 32 Core vs. Intel 28 Core

I think they should just suck it up and stick with X299

As if intel would keep a chipset for more than one generation.

1 Like

Yeah those times seem over on the consumer platform at least.
Gonna be interesting to see what they come up with. And when.

Yes on the HEDT platform they exally do.

Weā€™ll see. X299 has been plagued with power delivery and heat problems since release, and that was with 10-14 core parts.

Suspect they may force change of chipset in order to ensure that supporting motherboards must be re-certified for X whatever chipset with adequate power delivery.

Firing the CEO cause sex with anything less than a robot is a thing.

Would it be different if it wasnā€™t a robotā€¦ but a Cylon?

Okay bois keep it on topic.

Chipset has nothing to do with power delivery.

The main issue was that certain boards didnt have great vrm heatsink design.
But its not really a power delivery problem in that sense, just a heatsink design failure.
A decent X299 board like the Asus X299 ROG with like 8 straight phases powered by IR3555ā€™s,
Or the Asrock X299 taichi with those really great ISL99227B SPS powerstages.
should not have anny issues with running 10 - 14 core skuĀ“s.
Unless you talk about some lowerend cheap X299 boards.

If intel is going to release higher core count cpuĀ“s for X299, is of course yet to be seen.
And the same counts for how this will all going to work out in terms of power delivery.
But that 28 core 5.0GHz intel show off part is just rediculous.
Realisticlly there is not really a board at this moment that could properlly run this thing,
other then that custom made Gigabyte board.

Intel is desperate, if they think they can smash back at AMD hard enough by producing this 28 core part with a specific one off motherboard they will do so. They were desperate enough to completely obfuscate the 28 core part pushing it off as a 5ghz product.

One thing Intel will have to try to address, and I donā€™t know if they can cannibalizing their server market parts, is the PCI lane hole they are in. Being down 20 to comparable AMD products with these extreme core counts could be an issue depending on workload.

Maybe, but basiclly 16+ core skuā€™s arent really all that interesting for HEDT.
I mean such high core count cpuā€™s like 32 or 28 only really make sense in the server and enterprise world.
But power efficiency is also pretty important in that market,
and maybe even more so then raw clock speeds.
So that 5Ghz chip is a nice show off, but its probablly not really going to be a thing.
Because there is totally no market for it.

1 Like

Also the heat output matters alot too. cooling 1 28C cpu is fine but trying to manage cooling 30 of them is gonna get alot of expensive

1 Like

Yeah also that. :slight_smile:

But yeah 32 Core AMD chip is also only going to be interesting for the EPYC platform.
For Threadripper not soo much.
Because the clock speed is probablly not going to be mindblowing on that one.
Cause yeah heat production will be a thing.

1 Like

Clockspeed is probably still going to be pretty damned good for a 32 core part. I think the biggest issue with the Intel lineup right now and as we have been discussing with the chip sets is high core shit is NOT in Intels wheelhouse. Well, unless you are spending 100k/box. They have put themselves in a pickle in so many ways.

If you are looking at product lineupā€¦ safe to say AMD has a much broader portfolio in the desktop range all the way from bottom to Epyc. While Intelā€™s medium term strategy of keep the plebes on small to middling core counts worked without competition now holes are very evident thanks to AMD. Now the next task is to get laptop market up, Intel is miles ahead at this point.

Well intel basiclly has dominated the entire industry for manny generations.
And they still do in certain areaĀ“s.
But they finally have some serious competition from AMD right now,
which is a great thing, because this helps innovation.

I still believe that intel holds a very strong position in the laptop market, but also in the server and enterprise market.
Epyc is really interesting, but it needs some time to get companies to switch and try something new.
But that AMD will be hitting back on market share is going to be obvious.

1 Like

Laptop partly to due with Intels penchant to give shit out (wifi chips, USB controller chips, etc) along with a more fleshed out niche line of laptop products. Funnyā€¦ thatā€™s how Intel nearly destroyed AMD in the desktop, giving shit away, hmmm, I see a trend.

Enterprise is going to take timeā€¦ figure 3 year upgrade cycles on hardware and you have to break purchasers of the ā€œermagerd AMD is h0tt0rzā€ line of thinking. EPYC just really got out a few months agoā€¦ I donā€™t think weā€™ll know for sure until end of next year.

1 Like

The innovation already happened, AMD did that on their own. Remember Intel putting out that PR stuff about glued together CPUs? That was the first sign of them realizing how fucked they are.

AMD has a pretty big advantage in design right now and only needs to work on how the pieces of the puzzle fit together best. Intel has yet to make those pieces.

3 Likes

Iā€™d be extremely tempted to build it into a home server, depending on the cost.

I know chipset has nothing to do with power delivery (from a technical perspective), HOWEVERā€¦

if intel do not rev the chipset, then any vendor with a crappy X299 board can claim it is ā€œcompatibleā€ with the new processors.

By bumping the chipset revision (even just by number and doing NOTHING else) they can put out a new minimum motherboard spec for it and force OEMs to put a power delivery design on the board that is actually sufficient for the new processors.

i.e., ā€œto support X399 you need to support a minimum of 400w at the socketā€ or whatever.

Thatā€™s what my post was about - spec sheet games so that intel can ensure their boards wonā€™t catch fire with the new CPUs.

i.e., pretty much the exact thing they did with Z270 vs Z370

True for nowā€¦AMD are going for the big money. Servers and CPU sales with Kā€™s after the number.

Im not a laptop or phone lover. There stupid devices and only needed when mobility is a thing your stuck with.

Im far happier working in front of a 42" display I cant put in my pocket.

1 Like