AMD 32 Core vs. Intel 28 Core

Sure it can mean that but it can also mean lowest price. Personally I like the “best bang for the buck” route. (Ferrari will never give you that.) “Better” is, for the most part, a subjective term. i.e. Better performance, worse for my budget. Better for budget, worse for performance. Better for self-esteem, worse for morale. Better for me, worse for them etc. etc.

I wonder if they plan on developing an Intel Whiskey “NEAT”. Perhaps this will be the latest acronym. I guess it all depends whether or not Intel cleans up their act. For the time present they have a good deal of egg on their face to wipe up and their hands are dirty. They’d better do something soon or they’ll find their Whiskey on the rocks.

1 Like

based on what my 2700x does with the box cooler, i do not see threadripper v2 with 2 dies @ 4ghz being an issue at all - at least a reasonable AIO should handle it.

Mine will sit on around 3.9-4Ghz all day with the box cooler and thats just a 2700x, not a binned top 5-10% die as per what goes into threadripper.

boost to 4ghz on a significant fraction of 32 cores (i.e., a full fat 4 die threadripper v2, not the 1950x replacement) might be harder, but i suspect its more likely to be an issue of power draw rather than cooling. the heat spreader and die spacing on TR4 is probably good for it, but if you’re going to be pulling similar power per die to my 2700X you’d need 400-450 watts out of the socket… reducing clocks down to mid 3.5 or lower might be required to maintain some sort of sane power draw out of the socket.

Dam you mods :slight_smile: I had to read 38 posts to catch up :).

Intel may make something special at 10mn when they can get it working next year. Like AMD and there out for test already 7nm epic chips.

What is important is their coverting our pockets and minds and getting dirty is ok. You corps fight for my love :stuck_out_tongue:

I know the current socket is wired for 4 channel, the question is whether the TR2 package/interposer is wired for 4 channel or whether it is essentially an epyc part with fuses blown to restrict features?

It is conceivable that the chip/package itself is has wires for 8 channels in which case the motherboard would be the deciding factor. It is also conceivable that it is physically wired for 8 channels, but it’s been fused off.

You just wanna do this again, don’t you? :rofl:

2 Likes

For the youngins what is going on there?

Well, in this case, it would require the MB manufacturers to build a new board… more a question of whether such an upgrade path is even possible.

The Zen platform already has lumpy latency, this 4-channel config is going to aggravate that, so I’d rather see it stretch its wings even if it means waiting for a MB platform to support it.

The socket is the same physical socket, so its a question of providing physical paths to these channels and then bios level support of the different config. Moot-point if AMD fuses off those paths though.

There were, at one point, chip configuration settings that were accomplished with external traces on the package. You could potentially change the chip to a better configuration by shorting/cutting these paths.

He’s referring to the “fuses” I mentioned. Which is how such things are generally accomplished now. After binning at the factory, they hard-code the chip into a given configuration after its already been manufactured by blowing die-level fuses that permanently alter the config. A one-time flash if you will.

1 Like

who the fuck thought: yeah thats how we market threadripper!

3 Likes

HEAVY METAL :metal:

2 Likes

AMD did worse on marketing in the past.

Given, I would have liked Meshuggah to do that^^
Edit: Maybe, just maybe, Bleed works for the trailer.

That is badass… only thing that would have made it better is if it was Gear.

I mean, they have a point, Threadripper sounds pretty metal.

3 Likes

and it might rip intel a new one XD

2 Likes

Intel have back peddlled to perhaps 22 cores and not 5Ghz it MmmM… Hz and an 8 core CPU :slight_smile: and not 10nm cause MmmMmmm.

You promised 28 core & 5Ghz :frowning: I want that CB score :frowning:

Maybe EPYC will hit it with all the cores next year.

2 Likes
2 Likes

It will be interesting how the 32 cores threadripper will perform vs 16 cores. Monolithic vs Glue. 2 chips vs 4 chips. I can see the need for cooling. But Epyc is 7nm now and its stepping up …Come on intel.

Power VS cores VS how threaded is the code.

Memory bandwidth will be a thing.

If you want overclocking, get Intel’s Fantasy 28-core 5Ghz CPU.

1 Like