Amazon S3 Glacier - setup testing and surprise pricing?

Hey Gang,

We are about to test the Amazon S3 Glacier as part of our 3 copy data strategy. Two local copies in two TrueNAS Scale systems. Third off-site.

Have others used the Glacier service? Will there be some hidden charges we should be aware of as we set it up and then use it? Working with @felixthecat to get it working.

TIA!

1 Like

Thanks @anon12253282 - have you used Glacier with TrueNAS? Just curious how often it actually does API calls; does rsync equate to API calls?

Kinda looking for real World experience here - the pricing sheet only goes so far. Lots of horror stories of people getting bills with whopping API call charges.

I don’t think so - Internet uploads are free when I read the calculator.

Yeah, because why not. You’re already having a wonderful day if you need to download 10TB off your archival cold storage. An extra 1k bill from AWS isn’t going to change that. :rofl:

100% agree… the idea being that you’ll hopefully never need the data back from Glacier.

I haven’t used it in production, but I know Glacier follows the rule most archival storage providers do of not allowing real time listing of files uploaded there. So either you’ve got to be super clever with how you organize things and then use that to help you pick and choose, or it’s an all or nothing kind of deal.

Any API price surprise experience with Glacier? Not sure if you mean you’ve had no experience with it or just none in a production environment.

None in production. I was actually just talking about archival storage for an upcoming project, and had looked at Glacier as an alternative. I just haven’t written any code which uses it.