AM5 VFIO/Workstation/Gaming Rig

I’ve not, I’m not really a tech wizard and after two weekends of not quite figuring out how to pass through an SSD and GPU to a Windows VM I decided to put the GPU back in my old machine and just leave it for when I need to transfer files and as an optional second choice for playing games since it has an okay CPU.

I think it probably is possible but didn’t try it and have enough games and other stuff on my plate that I’m not really interested in doing major experimentation with my computer at the moment.

1 Like

Okay, wasn’t sure since while it doesn’t feel too loud to me I have a weird fan curve that I set and set the CPU to eco-mode 105 w which made me feel like I should tell @Solid8 what reviews have said which is that because of all the airflow it’s not a quiet case per se.

1 Like

I currently in the same dilemma around future proof choice, but I cannot understand the reason why X670E boards vs X670 do exist.

X670E motherboard prices are bonkers when compared to normal asus prime X670. What do I get for twice the money? Upgrade of PCIE.1 slot from x16 PCIE 4 to PCIE 5? Something that does not even have any use yet?

For that kind of money I would apreciate that bandwith to be distributed between two x16 PCIE4 slots connected to cpu and able to bifurcate down to 4x4x4x4x.

Or is there something I have missed?

1 Like

that’s exactly the reason why i think about getting the 7950X3D over the 7900X3D.
8C8T is far enough for a windows gaming vm. Being able to pass a single CCX as 7800X3D is a nice (expensive) solution.
The 7900X3D is cheaper and (at least for me) in total still has enough cores but i guess the scheduler problem is a thing if you pass the full X3D CCX + 2C2T from the non X3D ccx :confused:

So if you can afford it i suggest the 7950X3D is a easier solution for a gaming VM (:

I had the same thought, but it may also be that it is not a problem if the ccx without X3D can use the cache on the other CCX as 4Level cache.
Question is what does qemu make of such a configuration.

@DS_DV have you checked the cache sizes in your VM with coreinfo?

yep … i am quite curious.
i guess ill preorder the 7900X3D asap and test it.
Sadly i am not very competent. I some times can follow guides and i can click on pixels if the are nicely colored.

but in the Linux world some times where UX and even UI are still not the 1st priority i struggle even more than on M$ …

As usual ill just brute force try and error around and maybe i stumble up on a interesting solution.

of course i can keep you posted and test suggestions :smiley:

@Janos the Thread got updated Is it possible to use iGPU/APU as primary GPU? (with dGPU installed) - #9 by DS_DV :smiley:

that’s not a problem as long as you take notes and undo your changes as soon as it is clear that your problem is not solved

1 Like

I don’t think there is something you have missed, i guess the pricing on these boards are unreasonable.

why ?
yes they are expensive but unreasonable?
look at the prices of food or other things?
Add that they have pcie5 and look at the amount of pcie5 - look up why pcie5 is such a huge cost adding.
A630 which has no pcie5 is just as “cheap” as 400 Series chipset boards and that even with the inflation.

yes it is unreasonable, but is is the only AM5 board with 3 PCIe Slots with 8-8-4 directly from the CPU, the Godlike completely ignored, because borderline imbecile.

Edit:
Look what you get at TR Pro. Compare an 800€ TR Pro board with the ACE, the ACE is completely overpriced.
@DS_DV, sure PCIe is expensive, hence I would love to see AM5 with PCIe 4 but more Lanes.
16 PCIe 5 Lanes for the GPU is a joke, even 8 PCIe 4 Lanes are enough for the lifetime of this boards

ups, wrong thread :wink:

For the ASUS ProArtX670E vs the Prime X670 boards two ethernet ports including one 10 gigabit ethernet port as well as two USB 4 in rear ports with display over thunderbolt using display port I think are pretty notable differences.

Look at the proart B650. It has 8/8/4/1 PCIe 4.0 slots.

1 Like

Oh, I ignored those. I have bad experience with multigig Aquantia and less said about i225/ i226 the better. Broadcom would be better choice for 2.5G than intel, and it physically hurts to type that out.

Now integrated x550 for 10GBE, that would make the surcharge worth it.

I really wish asus had releases something like ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE - no frills but solid workstation board.

2 Likes

agreed, I have been hoping. It looks like they released two of the pro ws on the intel platform with the W680 chipset that supports both alder and raptor I have been waiting for a x670 release on the amd side, ,but nothing… I wonder if they feel the proart fills that market? But that rationale doesn’t make a lot of sense because they have a proart z690 and z790. Which makes me think they may release one for the x670 chipset , anyone have any thoughts?

I think that ASUS might consider the z#90 equivalent for AMD to be x670 is my guess.

I have a very similar new build, except I’m using an MSI PRO X670-P board and have yet to get a 4070Ti. I bought an MSI Radeon RX 6800 Gaming Trio Z but I’m not having any luck getting AMD GPUs working fully with any of my distros (Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu) or machines (i9-12900, 5950X, 7950X). I have had more success with an Nvidia 3050 on Fedora with the rpmfusion drivers.

What I’m saying is that the distro you choose is important too, especially given the parlous state of full featured GPU support in Linux. The latest drivers from Nvidia should support the 4070Ti (I hope so for my sake) but the support might be spotty for a while.

Noctua fans and coolers are great, but when the CPU going gets tough, the cooler fans aren’t silent. My i9-12900 with an AIO is much quieter when doing significant work than either of the AMD rigs with Noctua tower coolers. I prefer air coolers, but the i9-12900 build with an AIO has a lot to recommend it.

I replaced all the fans in my 5950X build with Noctua fans. They’re the best. The new case for the 7950X build is a Fractal Torrent which has the 180mm fans (another reason to go with air cooling). Noctua don’t do 180mm fans (that I’m aware of).

Good luck with your build.

1 Like

Most people usually do not know what they need. We are the minority. Most people are simply following the marketing. Marketing tells people “The more m.2 slots, the better the board. Oh, you need thunderbolts port, too. You also need 2 network interfaces.” There are ton of BS in the marketing.
On the MSI’s forum, I saw people put 4 Samsung 990 pro nvme on the x670e motherboard, and asking why they only got 6500M/s on the 3rd/4th m.2 instead of 7000M/s on 1st/2nd m.2. They are the customers that all companies try to grab, and marketing departments try to cultivate more such customers. They have lots of cash, and easy to be influenced my marketing.

yeah seems a waste of pcie lanes, if you ask me. M2 slots are okay, of course I wish for more x16 slots or even x4, x1, but at least they are pcie lanes and with an extra adapter you can use those lanes however you want. There is even a recent video where Wendal got a U2 drive to work using a m2 adapter, But yes so important to look past the marketing, I think these three rules generally have governed my purchasing decision, 1. know my use case, 2. Identify the features that will best serve the use case. 3 Identify a price point that you can live with. These three “rules” led me to the asus B650E E gaming wifi. despite the gamer “marketing” bs, I think the with the feature set will make a good entry level workstation board, only wish it out of band management not that I really need that right now, but I think in the future I wlll invest in a PIKVM modules in the store.

I am quite late to the party, but I feel like I can provide some insights regarding choosing more budget oriented hardware choices.

My use-case is primarily machine learning with some light gaming from time to time. I am running NixOS on all my devices, but for machine learning Nix can be a pain in the ass (some packages are not in the repos, or flat out don’t work with considerable effort). So GPU passthrough basically enables me to run Linux VMs (in my case Arch) for machine learning and Windows 11 for some gaming.

Now because I sadly don’t have an unlimited budget I researched the ‘best bang for the buck’ modern system for VFIO. I don’t really see an advantage for using DDR5 in my system, so I specifically chose a board with DDR4 support. As the newest Ryzen do not support DDR4 anymore, I went the Intel route. I came up with the following parts:

Mainboard: Asus ProArt B660-Creator D4
CPU: i7 13700K
RAM: 64GB DDR4
GPU: RTX 3060 12GB
SSD: Samsung 970 evo 2TB and a Samsung 850 evo 500GB from my previous built

This setup works extremely well, the only issue I had was that the BIOS was too old to support the 13700K and I needed to use a previous gen CPU to perform the initial boot and system upgrade. Since then I have absolutely no issues. As my gaming VM doesn’t really need fast storage I am just passing through the 850 evo.

I am not sure if going with Ryzen, DDR5 and a more premium mainboard would change my user experience at all, so I can recommend saving some money and then investing that in a more powerful GPU for example.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.