AM5/7950x build looking for board advice

Looking to build a replacement for my 1st gen TR 1950x build.
I’m running into some confusion over X670E boards, namely the PCIe lane splits.
Bought a Aorus Extreme, but because of the way they setup the PCIe, if you use 3+ m.2 slots it pulls the bandwidth from the primary PCIe slot, slowing your GPU.

Looking at the 3 following boards to swap:
Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI
Asus ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI

Here’s what I’m looking for 3-4 M.2 4.0 ssds, along with my current 3080 and possibly a swap to a 7900xtx once reviews come in. I’m also hoping to get 4x16, 2x32 but I see that memory is still a bit squirrely.

I grabbed the Aorus Extreme on an impulse while picking up a 7950x from Microcenter this Sunday so nothing is built yet. I think it was the only one in stock that had native 10gig eth, I could always just move my 10gig add-in card from my Zenith Extreme over to one of the other 3.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have the MSI ACE x670E it also has 10G Ethernet and has 8x8x4 bifurcation of the pci-e lanes. x4 is by chipset and the 8x8 is cpu direct.

but if you already have a 10g pci card and dont need the slot for anything else id go with the carbon. and has foe USB 4.

if you have a pro need for USB 4 Type-C 40 Gbps ASUS would be better as they have official licence from intel.

1 Like

How much memory are you running in your build? I’ve been following several builds trying to do 4 dimms, but it seems to be tricky.

I found this awesome spreadsheet on reddit. It has all of the details of all the AM5 motherboards including PCIe slots, m.2, Thunderbolt, Ethernet,etc. You can search for what you want. I went with the Asus ProArt x670e Creator for my 7950x.

4 Likes

Thanks,
Leaning towards the Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI, but looking this over before I head over to MicroCenter this week.

Did you select a MOBO yet? Got same dilemma and also currently thinking about the X670E-E.

I did and I went with the X670E-E.

Honestly at the 500 dollar price point I’m disappointed in most of the X670E options.
Compared to the X399 Zenith Extreme I’m coming from, we’re paying more and getting less =/

There wasn’t even a CD/USB with the drivers.

How is it so far? Are you overall happy with the purchase of 7950X?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.