AM4 Overclock

I figured this be a good place to share experiences in am4 overclocking. Tell us your equipment, tell us what you did, and share your experience. I used Conan Exiles as my software load, for a real usage experience.

ASRock x370 TaiChi
R7 1700 & wraith cooler
Gskill Trident z ddr4 3200 14 14 14 34

In the EFI under OC Tweaker

CPU CONFIGURATION
Overclock Mode was left to auto
CPU Frequency and Voltage Changes changed to Manual
CPU frequency changed to 3600
CPU VOLTAGE 1.106
SMT Mod is enabled.

VOLTAGE CONFIGURATION

Votage Mode changed to OC Mode
CPU Voltage changed to Offset Mode
Offset Voltage 3125
CPU Load-Line Calibration level 3
VDDCR_SOC Load-Line Calibration Level

ran well and didn't seem to heat too much playing conan exiles on ultra, with a temp of onlly 38-40.

1 Like

ASRock X370 Gaming K4
Ryzen 1700X & Custom Modded Dual Fan Raijintek Themis Cooler
Gskill Trident-z ddr4 3200Mhz 14-14-14-34 @2933MHz (First used Corsair Vengeance LPX, it was trash)

My OC Using P-states:
P-State 0:
3800MHz FID 98
DID 8
VID 20

P-State 1: Default 3000MHz

P-State 2: Default 2200Mhz at 0.9V Uses about 20W at Idle state

P-State 3: and downwards: Disabled

All Line Calibrations: Level 3
SoC voltage 0.98V (compensate for minor drop under load yet keep temps low)
Ram Voltage 1.35V

Idle:
CPU: 23C (With some spikyness)
VRM: 42C

Max Temps Under load using AIDA64 for 8 hours:
CPU: 72C
VRM: 60C

Ok after a new h110i corsair cooler I decided to kick up my game.
I managed to get 3900 stable at under 59degrees @load using cpu-z stress test.
I haven't modified BCLK as of yet , but I am pretty impressed so far.
CPU voltage 1.35 LLC are both at 2.

Mainly tested in Modded Ark Survival evolved
Asrock x370 Gaming K4
R7 1700x Liqmax ll 240 aio cooler
16 Gigs 8x2 of Corsair 3000mhz led memory cant get it to post above 2400mhz speed at 15-15-15-36 1.35v CMU16GX4M2C3000C15

3900 mhz oc at 1.375 v core.

Load line calibration at lvl 3

temps are about 65 c under load minus the 20 c readout error in hwinfo64 and ryzen master

@Ottesen87 You might get more from your ram by using the BCLK adjustment. I was reading for my ram 3200 it stops at 2933, and anything over is from BCLK adjustment.

I have the same board. And I can confirm that this board + Corsair RAM = Hit & Miss.
I gave up and bought some G.Skill B-Die RAM.

i dont think you can do BCLK on the K4 but i might just have missed it

yeah im think of doing the same. seems like alot of people have good experience with gskill. and i only just bought all the parts a week ago so i should be able to get my money back on the ram and buy some new ones.

Just make sure it's on the QVL... I've yet to have any non QVL kits work on Ryzen.

I got the G.Skill flare x 3200 c14... it works great.

Have gskill trident z rgb at 3200 running beautifully c14

I had the trident z not rgb and that wouldnt get over 2133... I guess rgb's do make things go faster. I did an RMA and got what I am using now.

Could be a different motherboard or bios revision in general.

I am having P-STATE issues. I did a pstate overclock set pstate 0 to 3900, and pstate 1 to 3200 and it locks in at state 0 ...am I missing something? set pstate 0 set state 1 and disable the rest?

No the rgb version was in the list of ram that works...but the none rgb was not in the list of ram that works ...

does your cpu ramp down with those p state settings ?

I have mine almost the same way. but with 3.9 ghz and 1.375v on state zero

and its running 3.9 always

i am on bios 2.40. because 2.50 resulted in even lower mem speed :confused:

Edit Got it working. i didnt know that you needed vcore offset to enable all of windows power settings

1 Like

Are you using the AMD power profile in windows?

This was fixed later by setting the idle state percentage in the power management options to 10% from 90% to allow the processor to appear to scale down in windows too.

This isn't actually the state the processor is in actually (it does it's own power management internally) but it does allow windows to 'recommend' states to the processor and also allows monitoring software to reflect processor state correctly.

The details are complex and I don't have a windows install on my Ryzen system anymore. (Linux only)