AM4 Mini-ITX News and gossip!

Then it be better to save money by buying a b350 model board. I would have been nice if the x370 had a extra M.2 slot, then it make sense.

Looks great to me :smiley:

The only thing I wonder, as mentioned in the article too, is the cooling of the VRMs. I guess for slight overclocks, you can probably get away with no (real) heatsinks, but it seems like the user will need to add his own cooling for those, if he plans on doing any significant overclock.

It annoys me when people say that the only difference between X370 and B350 is the support for dual graphics cards, when there are actually other differences as well. Thanks for pointing that out! :slight_smile:

Too bad, but I guess one can live with it :wink:

Am I reading these things correct, the Asrock board only has USB 3.0t?
I think I'd rather wade through a poor(er) user experience with the UEFI in exchange for USB 3.1.

Gigabyte announced theirs, and I'm much happier with those features if it's in the $120 range.

Is there a general rule of thumb for time from tradeshow to market?
If we're talking weeks, I'd like the Gigabyte. If we're talking months, I'll feel a bit foolish for having passed on a couple of buying opportunities on the Biostar.

1 Like

Gotta love the non existent X300 chipset

Well I doubt that chipset is going to reduce manufacturing cost much, so most these vendors are just going 'f it, we'll just use the 350 and 370...'

Looks like I will get a GA-AB350N if it has two 3.1 ports. Unless Asrock make a last minute change to theirs. I really want to get this motherboard this month to be honest!

1 Like

They can charge a premium though compared to B350, people will buy it since its a "higher" tier chipset. I would take any good quality mATX or mITX mobos at this point pickings are super weak in both.

2 Likes

I have to agree. I think they don't want to stock up multiple chipsets when they can just reuse those from the bigger boards.

That might be a nice coincidence :wink:

1 Like

Found this while looking for something else.

Page 3 has the mini-ITX stuff
"So we recently saw Biostar introduce two models that use the B350 and X370 chipsets on mini-ITX. These sold out instantly in North America and we’re going to see them ramp their production worldwide."
and "You only need one chipset on the board to provide these features and this can be X300, B350, X370, we don’t care." are just a sample. I always figure companies will be more carefull when talking to Forbes.

1 Like

So Asrock and Gigabyte have a ITX board coming, does anyone know when they will appear in shops? I may have to get it from newegg or amazon in order to get one in reasonable time-frame as I'm not too sure who locally would stock ITX boards that are this new to the market.

2 Likes

A little more on the ASRock AM4 ITX boards.

Specs in addition to my earlier post,

• No USB 3.1 Gen 2
  • No real differences between B350 and X370 boards (X370 might OC better according to ASRock)
  • Unbuffered ECC support
  • Coming out soon™

Gigabyte ITX board

Specs

• Unbuffered ECC support
  • 2x USB 3.1 Gen 2
    • No Type-C connectors
  • WiFi + BT
  • M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4
  • Realtek LAN
  • End of June to early July release (paging @The_Riddick, very end of the linked article)

As for my opinions on the boards, I think they are about even on my list overall. Perhaps a slight edge to the ASRock board. The lack of USB 3.1 Gen 2 on the ASRock boards is a shame, but the rest of the board looks good overall. Meanwhile the Gigabyte board has USB 3.1 Gen 2, but the Realtek LAN is disappointing. The layout on the Gigabyte board is also really weird, I fear it might cause some trouble in some cases.

3 Likes

The question is now, is that real support or does it just work with ECC like almost all motherboards, but it will effectively not run in ECC mode?

What's the problem with the Realtek NIC?

Yes the positioning of the power supply and sata ports might be something to consider with the Gigabyte board. I will need to do a inspection of my itx case to ensure its going to be ok before buying.

Not too concerned about the LAN, I might use just wireless for this computer anyway to reduce 1 more cable in the loop.

Has anything arrived yet? I feel so old...

I have had 2 retailers crap out on me. Either a shipping date that was not acceptable or a miscommunication in the availability of the product. I am now attempting to buy it through Amazon.co.uk. It should arrive within the next few days.

It has never been this hard for me to buy anything. Starting to really bake my potato.

They only sell micro atx boards for am4, not itx.

Nope

oh right, biostar. well those are in stock with newegg last I checked (couple days ago). For ~100.

OOS as of 30 minutes ago.

Yea newegg has had that board in and out of stock for a month now. Same with the retailers here in my country.

But then I realized I could order it from the UK and within a day it was on its way. So I am a happy camper :smiley:

1 Like

Yes but for 424 pounds, lol okie dokie... as stated by amazon uk