Alternatives to CentOS - An Analysis of Alternatives

If you want a drop-in replacement for CentOS and you’re using RHEL-things like oVirt, FreeIPA, OpenShift, etc, these are the only options that are remotely close IMO.

1. Try CentOS Stream and see how it goes
  2. Try Oracle Linux and see if you can still look at yourself in the mirror
  3. There was some talk of a free RHEL?
  4. And yeah we’ll see how Rocky goes…

Distant 2nds if you’re simply using CentOS to do generic server things.

1. OpenSuse Leap
  2. Ubuntu LTS
  3. Debian

I wouldn’t consider Fedora a suitable alternative as the upgrade cycle is too frequent and stability isn’t there. FreeBSD and other linux distros are fine, but don’t really resemble CentOS in any meaningful way, so I wouldn’t consider them alternatives specifically to CentOS.

2 Likes

Right, I kinda forgot about this. I would personally arrange them in the following order:

1. Oracle Linux
  2. OpenSUSE Leap*
  3. Ubuntu LTS
  4. Debian

Rocky sounds cool, but it is an uncertain project at this point in time.
*I put OpenSUSE in the second place because I know of its stability and praise in the enterprise, but as always, if I haven’t used it, I cannot vouch for it.

Has anyone tried Amazon Linux 2? How about Clear Linux as a replacement for CentOS in some cases?

2 Likes

I can. its praise is well earned and often highly understated. They have a strong leadership in the community and a couple really really really good devs in charge of most of their distro packaging and testing teams

3 Likes

How would you feel about collaborating on a project?

Depends on the project. Sounds interesting. You know how to reach me :wink:

Personally, replacing CentOS with Oracle Linux had been my approach at work for quite a while before even any idea of a rolling CentOS release. For the simple reason, that I can suggest clients to use Oracle Linux in production if they don’t feel like buying a RHEL license outright. With OEL, they have the ready option to upgrade to paid support.

I’m not a fan of Oracle the corporation but from a purely business perspective, it is the next best alternative. Feel like RHEL/CentOS is shooting themselves in the foot with this move.

3 Likes

We’re (well my dad; I’m tagging along :smiley_cat: ) shifting from CentOS to openSUSE Leap for servers. Since the software my dad works on is made to run on lots of different *nix platforms, it’s easy to switch over and if SUSE does some shenanigans, then switching again will be no big deal either.

1 Like

Tumbleweed is okay if you arent focused on 100 percent up time btw.

Yeah LEAP is pretty sweet. YaST makes you lazy lol

1 Like

Yeah, Dad wants the bare-metal servers to be rock-solid so he can work. :slight_smile:

Dad is making me learn on the command line though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus teaching me Ansible now (have to even make my own playbook on a set of VMs, not just run his).

2 Likes

type in yast2 in the CLI :wink:

Baremetal… mmmm nah containerize your stuff. Makes it easier. Keep baremetal clean

havent gotten around to that. Just mucking around with KVM and dockers

2 Likes

Well the base OS has to run on the bare metal though? Most of his stuff he puts VMs for dev/testing, but it’s not the kind of stuff you put in containers; it’s made to run on big single-purpse computers. I don’t think I can say more though, partly because its way over my head. :stuck_out_tongue:

UPDATE ALL:

RHEL 8 Free

Pros

• Well tested software

• Generally bug free

• Continous security updates

• Stability is king

• Slow tested release cycle (con for me. con for some.. pro for others)

Cons

• Backports

• Incompatibilities between patches and software

• Slow tested release cycle (con for me. con for some.. pro for others)

• You have to mess about with registrations and keys though so that can be a pain
3 Likes

true theres a use case for everything. I wanted to run a VM for a torrent box but now that I found this. I have no need to

1 Like

Do you have to mess about with registrations and keys though? Cuz what a pain.

Yes. Good con. let me add

2 Likes

Thats cool; but how can we verify containers so there aren’t shenanigans? The only Docker container we are running is a GitLab one that is from Synology that we run on one of our NAS. I kinda think I’d be happier with a playbook that installed the parts…

Docker is much like anything else. you login to its shell and do the verification stuff you want to do like any other *nix system.

Use docker compose to pass what you want in.

1 Like

OIC. I didn’t play with Docker guts yet. Alrady so much to learn . :smiley:

Oh, I think I saw a video on using Ansible to build Docker containers even. Maybe from TechWorld with Nana?

same … still learning.

1 Like

It’s pretty fun though! :smiley: