Alternative to Windows Server 2016

What I am asking for is a little guidance in deciding a linux OS for my home primary storage/VM server. I was given an HP DL360 G6 and my plan is to use its dual CPUs for virtual machines as well as run print server, storage control, and backup imaging, and so on. I’m getting kinda overwhelmed by all the various distros out there. Does anyone know of a certain Server OS that they like and has been rock stable for them?

I work in a windows environment and I want to get away from the MS server licensing. I’m comfortable with command line but I do like using a GUI. I’ve been considering Fedora and Ubuntu. Any insight you can give would be helpful. Thanks.

Imo, not fedora as the upgrade cycle is a bit to quick for a server.

Ubuntu LTS is fine, Debian stable and CentOS are also good choices.

I have been using Debian personally, it’s been working great.

4 Likes

Getting 2016 to run on a G6 would be a real headache, I vote for Centos or RHeL

1 Like

Debian, bounced back and forth several times from distro to distro. Debian just runs the best in my opinion. Debian is however always a bit behind on updates compared to others, which is one thing that adds to stability, kind of the point with servers, so reasonable tradeoff. Compared to Ubuntu, there is a bit more legwork to get it running with everything, but it’s not that bad after a few times. I have a Dev server at work, running Debian, been running without a reboot or any hiccups for 200+ days. Ran a Debian router a few years back, ran smoothly after 1yr+ without a reboot. My home server is currently on 89 days without any problems.

Haven’t got a clue which is best for setting up using a GUI. I do 99.9% of server work in a terminal. Would however think Ubuntu would be the best choice on this point.

After a month or two, I’ve always had some kind of issue with Ubuntu. Same goes for workstation.

Fedora, as already mentioned, updates a tad too often for my liking.

Tried others as well, but not enough to say anything about them

1 Like

Windows server 2019.

Seriously though. What’s the goal? Standard is generally CentOS, Ubuntu, or occasionally Debian. Everything else is a toy unless needed for something special.

So is this for a company, like, to rely on to get work done, or a machine in a bedroom / basement to play around with?

If it’s for a business, seriously ask why they’re resting their business on a ten plus year old server, then look up the HPE published supported OS list for the model and generation and pick an OS off that list.