All-round PC I'm planning to build for a friend ca. 1200$

Hi everyone!

I put this build together and would like to hear a second opinion.
He's going to buy these parts in Switzerland, so please don't pay close attention the prices as they may be cheaper / on sale in Swiss shops

Also do you have a suggestion for a case in a similar price category? I'm not 100% happy with the current one. Mainly because it doesn't have fans on the top.

Thanks for your feedback.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6vJst6

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.00 @ Amazon)
  • Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
  • Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($122.00 @ Amazon)
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
  • Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
  • Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($35.99 @ Newegg)
  • SSD: KINGSTON HyperX Fury SSD, 240GB (SHFS37A/240G)  ($132.45)
  • Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280X iPower IceQ X² Boost Clock, Radeon R9 280X, 3.0GB GDDR5, PCI-Express (H280XQM3G2M) ($230.00)
  • Case: NZXT H230 White ($90.00)

Total: $1250.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-03 12:07 EDT-0400

If I were you I'd drop the SSD and put the extra $100 int the graphics card. SSDs really only effect load times not actual game performance. you could easily get a 770 and enjoy much better performance in game.

The second thing is that the power supply seems like overkill to me. 650 should be plenty even if you add drivers or upgrade your graphics card down the road. The drop to 650 might give you some money to put elsewhere.

everything else looks good IMHO. The i5 is a great choice especially the K edition. I have a i5 3570k with that same cooler and it over clocks well with good temps.

Looks good.  I would change the hard drive though.  Get a 1 or 2TB drive as 3TB drives are very bad in terms of reliability.  Also WD Reds are intended for NAS storage.  Get a WD Blue or WD Black.

Hi

I would never drop an SSD, as it IMHO necessary today. (and look how cheap they got).

The PSU is a good concern, but I chose this mainboard and GPU, for Crossfire/SLI, because my friend especially asked me for crossfire support...

How much better would you rate the 770 over the R9 280X? I thought they would be about the same speed?

Definitely don't drop the SSD.  Definitely required.  Also, the 280x (aka 7970 GHz Edition) beats the 770 (GTX 680) in most games, especially at higher resolutions.  MarcCz, I don't know where you got your information from, but if you looked at GPU benchmarks anytime in the last 18 months, then you would see the 280x is a faster(and cheaper) card(FTR, I'm not an AMD fanboy, I fall on the green side myself, but its just fact that the 280x is an all around better card).  As for the PSU, I would stay at 750w, because it will be more efficient at lower loads, especially with the PSU optimizations for Haswell.  Also, if you want to go crossfire, you will need this much as the 280x is pretty power hungry.  As for the brand, I would go with the Seasonic SS-750KMK3 because of its design.  For the most part, it is the same as the RM750(they are based on the same Seasonic platform to my knowledge), except it has all Japanese capacitors.  These capacitors have longer lifespans(and I believe higher maximum operating temperatures), and will allow the PSU to be used for many builds in the future.  Another thing: the hard drive.  I would go for a 7200 RPM drive like the WD Blue or Black, in a 2TB capacity.  If you absolutely have to go 3TB, I would get a second one for a RAID 1 config.  Although this is not necessary, it is what I would do, just because I'm paranoid about data loss.

The SEA SONIC X750 (SS-750KM) (is this the right one?) is about 30$ more expensive, do you think it's worth it?

I agree that a 3TB red drive isn't optimal for desktop use, but it's currently the cheapest quality drive I could find.(They do spin up to  7.2k rprm) 

WD Reds are for network attached storage.  I would recommend using a WD Blue or Black instead.

The Seasonic X750 is a high quality power supply, but the RM750 should work just fine.

I really like your choices, I might swap the SSD for a Samsung EVO the RAPID technology they have allows it to use 1GB of your RAM as Cache giving it almost Raid 0 speed on files less than 1GB (which is most).

Also I had better luck with the intel 62205 wireless adapter , I know its a little less enthusiast centric than Asus and the antenna is boring looking, but I did not have to fight with it at all and it works great. Price is about the same.

and Some Tech Nood is correct drives above 1TB do seem to have slightly worse reliability(especially the RED drives, read some newegg reviews) than the 1TB alternative (I would go Black), so the question is do you really need 2 or 3TB and can you back it up?

But overall I find no real problem with your parts my suggestions are just my preferences based on parts I actually own and have used with good results.