All new users please read this post

I’m not sure if this shows up for others, but when I try to respond to an old post, it gives me this message. I wonder if we can edit that message to include something that says it’s against forum policy to revive old threads.

2 Likes

My instincts tell me if you ‘say’ something isn’t allowed and leave a button right there that in fact does allow people do make an infraction then they will either get a mixed signal, or as the recent Hello Internet podcast suggests, will feel a call to do what they are being asked not to do.

Basically if you leave it as a possible option then it is certainly going to happen. I would agree with above how the drastically different format here is not something people will intuitively pick up if they are used to older formats. I’m still getting used to things here. Perhaps if it isn’t easy to eliminate a banned option, then adding more, larger text in contrasting color, or somehow making it require approval before being revived. It’s either put in work to make it happen or just deal with the necromancy.

1 Like

I just don’t have a complete solution for how we can solve this issue.

I don’t have a huge problem one way or another with necromancy, in fact, I support it in my personal life, but on the forum, it can be an annoyance.

:confused:

2 Likes

Agreed. The only thing I would change is when it shows the number of days since last post, I would double the font size and make it bright red instead of dark blue. I’ve gotten better at catching it and disregarding the necro, but have caught myself on more than one occasion writing a post and only realizing it was a wasted effort on a necro when proofreading.

4 Likes

We should have a day of necro.
Like the purge, we need to fulfill that part of our nature so that the rest of the year will be free of necromancy

Or something like that

2 Likes

That message pops up for me as well, but I don’t recall it popping up on mobile.

1 Like

Halloween.

3 Likes

Kind of like Imgurs “update anything from usersub” day.

1 Like

We should have a pinned thread each month with polls for best and worst necros.

2 Likes

What about manual approval by the OP for a user’s reply to show up on a ‘necro’ thread? Maybe allow OPs to lock threads they post? Or even auto-locking threads after a period of inactivity requiring OP approval to unlock?
Just throwing stuff out there, they would probably be pretty hard to implement permissions-wise.
Totally agree with @SudoSaibot about the confirmation button, would probably be the simpler solution.

Only leader trust level users have thread control, this would also put then responsibility on OP and not every user is active enough to keep track of their own threads

The simplest solution right now is if you suspect necromancy just flag the post, type in the something else box “necro”. A mod will take care of it sooner or later.

Sure it won’t prevent anything but it will stop users from continuing dead conversations

1 Like

Oh wow my post is relevant to the forum’s life now.
Great.

1 Like

If resurrecting threads really bugs people, we NEED to get rid of Suggested Topics. Even if you get in the habit of checking the activity date every bloody time you glance at the thing, all it takes is a interesting topic that one time you forget to check and you will accidentally resurrect a really old thread.

Either it needs to filter out old threads, or be removed entirely.

1 Like

I have bookmarked this…

will necro it many years from now… just to be a git :smiley:

4 Likes

Relevant bump.

I don’t feel like remaking a post that is already here.

Been getting a shit load of new users, and with that, a shit load of necro’s.

Dude don’t necro

2 Likes

globally seems a bit excessive