Alienware 17in Convince me not to, or choose a different one

Can you find a better laptop or equal specs for cheaper?

I can't be bothered to look through configurations and compare specs, but have a look at eurocoms lineup:

www.eurocom.com

Do you need a gaming laptop? What will you be using it for? Will you be taking it places with you regularly?

1 Like

Yes I will be taking it to places with me regularly. That's why I want a laptop. But I also want the ability to hook up to eGPU enclosures for upgraded GPU power.

Alienware's thing is proprietary kind of annoying, but it doesn't get much faster than a 1080 for a while

I'd go for the 13" OLED laptop though, least it has a neat gimmick, only comes with a 1060 6GB though

1 Like

i would suggest finding a specific purpose i use to have an alienware m17x r3 with a radeon 7970 but i found that its 10 lbs weight and large power supply just wasn't convenient. I know work off a surface pro 2 for work and school. I'm looking to upgrade and i refuse to use a laptop that doesn't have a touch screen as its too intiutive not to have one. My suggestion if you want more power in a laptop form factor don't go larger than 15 inches but that is my preference.

It's Alienware, why would you?

I would've agreed with you 100% if this was before when Alienware was their own little boutique system builder and if this was a desktop.

But for the new laptops "R4" series, the build, options, performance, and price, it's a really good option. I like the ability to hook up to the GPU expansion ( which btw, only costs $199) and I really like that most of the ports are on the back because I'm going to be mostly use this as a desktop replacement and undock when needed.

I was just wondering if there's anything comparable with an HK processor and a 1080 for cheaper.

The Alienware isn't proprietary... Except for the eGPU connection.

Like Razer more, think you can get a better deal at ibuypower too

I don't like the new Razer due to the cooling issues. They can't dissipate heat as well so no room for OC

I heard the new one was better at it?

Me personaly, I would get a ibuypoer or cyber power one, or the laptop @Adobe_Flash_Player got

My last gaming laptop was a qosmio due to at the time, late 2009, it was best bang for your buck production model. Ibuypower was making better but took forever. The qosmio played crysis one and two so lol

I would go with a Clevo as @MFZuul said. Eurocm, AVA direct, System 76 and Sager use them. They are aesy to work on and lots of driver support on either Linux or Windows.

2 Likes

People give Alienware shit, but they're a pretty good solution. I'm actually thinking of saving up for an Alienware because it's not much more expensive than building your own, (and sometimes a couple bucks cheaper depending on Dell's Discounts) You can have a 4 year accidental damage warranty, the eGPU Solution maybe proprietary, but at least it's lower priced than any thunderbolt dock and it has a PSU designed for GPUs and if you bought a $200 TB Dock, you'll need a Desktop PSU and some hackery to get it to work.

Also iBuyPower is shit, they just put in off-the-shelf boards in off-the-shelf cases. If they're gonna do that, I might as well build it myself and they use shitty cheap ass boards with shitty tech support. At least Dell's non-Inspiron Computers use AcBel and Delta PSUs, the kind of brand you find in $20,000 IBM Servers.

So, Alienware Master Race! (or at least XPS, you can get really good deals on those, they're like a steam sale for hardware)

That one does look nice, even has a full desktop 7700k and 1080 and thunderbolt3 and G-sync on the HD and 4k display
I'm really considering this one now.

ouch, 3k for the config I chose on that sager laptop.

1 Like

Only a few stacks more than the dell. Be a better buy in the long run tbh.

You using it for deployments/tdys? It'll Pay for itself.

2 Likes

I gave in, you convinced me. I bought the SAGER NP9172 (CLEVO P775DM3-G) from XOTICPC

• 17.3ā€ FHD 16:9 IPS LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finish w/ G-SYNC Technology (1920x1080)
  • 7th Generation IntelĀ® Kabylakeā„¢ i7-7700K (4.2GHz - 4.5GHz, 8MB IntelĀ® Smart Cache)
  • NVIDIAĀ® GeForceĀ® GTX 1080 (8GB) GDDR5X (Pascal) DX12
  • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • 512GB Samsung 960Pro NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD
  • COPPER COOLING UPGRADE - Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied to the Heatsink/Heatpipes (XPC Service - requires shipment to XOTIC PC)
  • No Operating System [Drivers & Utility Software Only]
  • Rush Build & XOTIC PC Services (Ships in 1-4 Business Days After Arrival to XPC) (XPC Services Required - Excludes Exterior Finish Services) (XPC Service)

Grand Total $3,032 w/ free ground shipping

It's my present to me for landing a linux sys admin job on base

Damn you went all out. Model I will be getting is the 15" with a 1070 and 32GB ram.

I also found this thread at forum.notebootreview.com where this user delidded his 6700k in the same laptop and halved his temps Jump to page 4 post #40