Akamai To Acquire Linode

Yeah, just a website and VPN. That is pretty much it for now.

1 Like

I just closed my vultr account. I’ve been running personal and work projects there since 2018. Then I’ve briefly stopped my servers in October last year because I didn’t had an use for them.

Just this week I’ve decided to prepare my migration from proton mail to my own solution. There are plenty of how-tos on Vultur’s documentation about running MTAs so I thought that they would be friendly to allow inbound and outbound 25/TCP upon request.

But they treated me like a no name suspicious customer demanding information about my activities and denied my request upon the basis that “my account was not stablished enough to allow port 25” along with some shenanigans about leaving the server running for 30 days and requesting again. Like… have they even checked my billing history?

So if I was going to be treated as an untrusted newly joined customer I went to be a new customer elsewhere.

4 Likes

Not to Necro a thread, but today is how long it took for Akamai to kill Linode.
Here is todays email on price hikes with some PR spin to try and justify a 20% price hike.

Hello,

As we expand our cloud product portfolio and work to improve the resiliency and reach of our network, we face the same challenges as many of our customers: a tough financial climate with growing costs for data center space, energy usage, and newer hardware. We have resisted making changes to our offerings for as long as possible, and we understand this may not be the news you wish to hear from us, but we are announcing price changes for certain compute services effective April 1, 2023.

On April 1st, you will see the following changes to our pricing model:

• Shared and Dedicated CPU plan prices will increase by 20%*.
  • The price of additional IPv4 addresses beyond 1 will increase from $1 to $2 each*, per month across all of our existing core data center locations.
  • Transfer (egress) fees are being reduced from $0.01 to $0.005 per GB* up to 1PB per month across all of our existing core data center locations.

What’s not changing?

• The price of Nanodes (1GB Shared CPU plans).
  • The price of NodeBalancers, Backups, Managed Databases, Linode Images, High Memory plans, GPU plans, and the High-Availability Control Planes on Linode Kubernetes Engine (LKE) are exempt from price changes. All other cluster nodes deployed with LKE will be billed according to the new Shared or Dedicated CPU pricing.
  • IPv6 addresses and pools will remain free.

*You will start accruing the new cost of these services on April 1st, and they will be reflected on the first invoice you receive after that date.

Despite these changes, we remain more aggressively priced than our peer providers, and with continued investment in our cloud computing services, customers can look forward to new and improved services on our roadmap:

• Network expansion, with existing and new data centers running on the Akamai backbone.
  • New ISO, SOC 2, and HIPAA standards compliance.
  • Capacity improvements across the board.
  • New core and distributed sites as part of the Akamai Connected Cloud.
  • Performance updates to cloud primitives like Object Storage.
  • New services like VPC and Functions for serverless compute.

We believe this is the best way to build a bigger and better platform that enables your cloud computing success in the future, and we hope that you’ll stick with us through this period of growth and change.

The Linode Team

3 Likes

Ugh. 20% Jeez

Time to move my VPS/Blog to a Nanonode. If that doesn’t work, I guess its all coming back home again!

2 Likes

So with this change I’m going from paying them $10/mo, to paying them $5/mo…

That went well.

2 Likes

I currently pay 20 right now. I too will probably jump to a nano since I have not utilize my system in the way that I intended (too busy wit work and School).

1 Like

The price of additional IPv4 addresses beyond 1 will increase from $1 to $2 each

IPv4 space has become a collector’s item internet-wide. Fees for address allocation are going up and will continue to forever. Scarcity premium for legacy tech now. IPv6 migration is increasingly justified.

1 Like

Isn’t electicty / $ per watt the biggest cost in data centres? So price hike with the increasing large scale cost of energy, dos not soundadraconian move?

I’m seeing hikes in unrelated fields.
At ast this one I could understand.

Hang used Linide since the acquisition though, but this particular move does not seem the bad stuff that will eventually come

1 Like

I’ve been keeping an eye on this for a while and looking at colocation options. I will certainly pay more to colocate than what I pay at linode, but I will also get a whole lot more for the additional spend.

1 Like