Ajit Pai's FCC Can't Admit Broadband Competition is a Problem

but in 10 years from now the wired infrastructure will be even better. There is also the problem of limited wireless spectrum.

I want more people to have the opportunity to make a profit.

shrug

Did you listen to Lunduke’s video about how the Internet is living on borrowed time? He makes some good points. Long and short of it is that every 25 or so years, major changes rock the tech industry’s foundations, bringing the end of an era of communications. No one runs a BBS anymore other than for posterity sake.

Honestly, I can do all my work from a 4g connection now. It won’t be fast, and I’ll hit my throttle within 5 days, but it’s absolutely doable. I don’t see why the same can’t be done with a 5g connection in 4-5 years. Most people really don’t need more than 500kbps right now. With 5g, we’ll have a bigger pie, so most people will be likely to get 25mbps. That’s 51.2 times the amount of bandwidth I currently have on a 4g connection.

People vastly overestimate what they need. What they want is incredibly different from needs. Tell me more about why you can’t live without gigabit.

Don’t get me wrong, I want fast internet like everyone else, but I can absolutely live without it. In fact, after working for 6 months on airgapped systems, I’ve learned to appreciate any amount of internet. I can’t even tell you the hoops I had to jump through to get libpng installed on one of those systems.

1 Like

No one is laying cable. So wireless it is.Maybe 10G cooking your brain for more bandwidth.

While the cable in the ground would work no one will lets you use that !

Latency
Working remotely, competitive games, time sensitive data analysis.

Data Caps
Yes some of us have to deal with this on a land line too, but the caps are much higher. I understand why data caps could be needed for wireless since there is only so much spectrum and congestion is as real issues.

Throttling
To deal with data hogs, you need to throttle to allow everyone the opportunity to get access. This for remote work, this can be bad. I have two 1440P monitors at work. When I have to work from home, this could be pretty data intensive. Throttling could introduce significant impact to my work. With latency I can deal with the annoying delay, but with throttling, I have to deal with rendering glitches and the possibility of not being able to do my work at all because I have to wait for each frame to finish painting.

Latency, Data Caps, and Throttling. Those are things that already exist on the wireless networks now. 5g is not going to solve these issues because we have money hungry, lazy, mega corporations as the gate keepers telling us why lack of innovation is better than innovation. They were handed over our money to make connectivity better. If even if they decided mid stream to put all of that money into wireless instead of fiber, our situation would have been better than it is now. They will find a way to exploit the technology to make high margins, not fix the issues that they created with false promises.

1 Like

How does your monitor resolution change your data consumption? If you’re using RDP/VNC for everything, you’re doing it wrong.

My office is 20 ft from my kitchen. I work from home 98% of the time, those two percent are when I’m meeting with the board or visiting datacenters.

This will relax when more bandwidth becomes available. I think I touched on this above.

I remember in 2008ish when Comcast tried doing data caps. Back then 75mbps was what the best ISPs were providing for home users. Comcast was implementing 200GB caps. Now it’s 1TB.

It sounds like you’re going out of your way to consume as much data as you possibly can when you’re remote. If you need high-speed access to your company SAN or GPU accelerated rendering, you should probably consider driving to the office. Working remote isn’t for everyone and it’s definitely not for every workload. I can accomplish it because I’m a Linux admin working on huge clusters, so I deal mostly in CLI.

@SgtAwesomesauce

You make a lot of assumptions about what people do when working from home.

I don’t use RDP or or VNC. I use the tools that my work provide. We use ConnectWise Screen Connect for remote access to our clients. To mitigate bandwidth, connect to my workstation through Screen Connect, and then from my workstation at work, connect to the other clients as needed. Maybe they use their own VNC client behind the scenes!? It does not matter. My point still stands. More importantly, I work for a windows shop and our clients are pharmacies. Everything is GUI. period. I am actually going out of my way to use as little band width as possible on my side.

Monitor resolution changes data consumption because you use more data when you are transferring more data. More pixels = more bits. If the monitors were at 1024x768, that would be less data usage. 1 screen versus 2 screens, different data usage. look at streaming 420P vs 720P or 1080P. It’s a thing.

I rarely work from home. However when the circumstance arises, I have to do what I have to do. I am not an outlier. You have a point to how things may change. I have a point for how things have been. Neither of us are wrong. I just don’t buy it because I have been burned too many times. You prove something with your actions, not with your words.