Ajit Pai wants you to pay $225 to file a complaint

LOL you got me. I was seriously:

:rofl: Good to know you’re not (too) insane :expressionless: :grin:

Interesting, good to know! Wasn’t sure on the source, it was worded very obscurely.

Agreed. I don’t partake anymore (except when the random fire strikes me on this forum) but there have been other forums where I’ve been banned, threatened, etc. for owning a firearm, supporting open/concealed carry, opposing/supporting certain laws, etc.

Good ol’ Evelyn Hall said it best:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

God damn right.

2 Likes

Lol, why are you assuming I’m left leaning? Quite the opposite really on most issues. If you haven’t received a death threat in 2018 you haven’t used the internet enough.

A lot of your comments seemed to align with the social justice wing of the left. My mistake.

On the internet, yes. I kinda write those off. The ones I was talking about were in person and I took them a bit more seriously.

Net Neutrality is one of the only issues I lean “left.” I will admit I haven’t put a ton of research into it but to me the current situation we have in regards to the FCC/NN points to crony capitalism.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t like it, but frankly, in 2 or 6 years we’ll get a new chairman and things will change. I don’t think Trump is going to replace him and I’m confident that things aren’t going badly enough to make a huge stink about it. There are so many larger issues at hand right now that this problem is a bit tangential to the mainline concerns in regards to making the country whole, strong and unified again.

2 Likes

its not, time will not stop; and this is not the end.

doubt he cares at all, he gets money by screwing people

2 Likes

@anon45066586, I wanted to challenge you to research both sides of the issue. You said earlier that you didn’t do a ton of research, and I think you’ll find that while there’s crony capitalism, the solution is not to regulate it to hell and back.

My rational behind that is this: for new competition to enter the market, which is my idea of the solution to the current functional monopoly that ISPs have over consumers, we really need few regulations. A new ISP would not start off being the best competitor, most likely, being someone who ran a business, I can tell you that more regulations only make it more difficult and increase the barrier to entry.

My solution related thought is this: We need to endure 5 or so more years of crappy ISPs before medium-range wireless technology can get affordable near-gigabit speeds. Once done, independent ISPs will start cropping up anywhere enterprise bandwidth is available. I’ve been planning to start an ISP in my local area for a while now, but the problem is that I’d have to be leasing fiber from Comcast, and that is the opposite of inexpensive.

Additionally, current math indicates I’ll need US $8MM in seed money to get this thing off the ground. Not an insignificant number. I’m sure there would be plenty of investors interested in assisting, but what we really need are some dot com millionaires who want to start investing.

Thanks for clearing that up.

They’re funded by more than just taxes, I work in telecom and we have to pay them regulatory fees in order to do business.

Basically this, people on the internet say things that they wouldn’t do in person. If someone makes a threat with the capability of carrying it out, it aught not to be taken lightly.

ISP regulatory system is a bandage on top of a bandage. It aught to work in a free market, but because of regulation there is no free market for ISPs; as a result they’ve been regulated further. Basically it has to get worse before it can get better.

2 Likes

Yeah, called the cops. They investigated, but couldn’t find anything credible, so nothing really happened from it.