Aggregating Documentation

EDIT: The documentation is now hosted here: http://docsdoc.info/

It is still very much incomplete, so if anyone wants to contribute or just drop me a list of links/ideas, the GitHub repo is here: https://github.com/dotdigital-digital/docsdoc

EDIT: Ok, so I’ve been playing with this on github and seeing how it works as a Raneto site.

I quickly set up Raneto on an AWS instance so you can see how it looks.

A lot of the entries are just wikipedia pages and should be filled out with links to official standards, documentation or whatever else. I just wanted to flesh it out a bit before inviting people to contribute. At this point, I think the format I’m going for is pretty clear.

Anyone who’d like to pull, just give me a heads up.

FOR POSTERITY:

Everthing below here can be disregarded.

It occurred to me that a great resource for anyone looking to get into the GNU/Linux/BSD world would be a centralized place to find documentation (sans paywalls).

I’d like to grow the following list with everyone’s suggestions. I’ll try to organize it according to specificity (least specific to most specific).

Of course, we can’t aggregate all relevant documentation, so we’ll have to be pragmatic about how far to go. For instance, we would want to have documentation on the OSI model, but not necessarily the technical specification for every class of ethernet cable.

If we come up with something comprehensive that we feel good about (or if it becomes too long for a forum post), then maybe I’ll move it to a github gist and just link that here.

Also, if this already exists somewhere and I just didn’t find it, let me know and maybe that’s that, or we can expand/revise it…

Here are a few random things to start with. I will add more of the obvious stuff, but wanted to get community feedback before spending a lot of time on it (in case someone already has a good list compiled).

STANDARDS ORGANIZATIONS

1. International Organization for Standardization (ISO)

2. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)

3. The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)

4. Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number (ICANN)

5. Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)

NETWORKING

1. Open Systems Interconnection (OSI)

• ISO 35.100 <-- I can’t find this without a paywall

• Wikipedia

2. Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP)

3. Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry

4. Top-Level Domains (TLD)

99. Misc/General

Operating Systems

Unix Base

1. Single UNIX Specification (SUS)

2. Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX)

GNU/LINUX

1. GNU’s Not Unix! (GNU)

2. Linux

3. Linux Standard Base (LSB)

4. Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS)

99. Misc/General

Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD)

99. Misc/General

Linux Distributions (Slackware)

2. openSUSE

Linux Distributions (Debian)

1. Debian

2. Ubuntu

Linux Distributions (Red Hat)

1. Fedora

2. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)

3. CentOS

Linux Distributions (Independent)

1. Arch

BSD Distributions

1. OpenBSD

2. FreeBSD

3. pfSense

4. FreeNAS

PROPRIETARY

1. Apple

2. Google

3. Microsoft

4. Ubiquiti

5. VMWare

5 Likes

I thought Arch was its own thing? :confused:

Moved Arch from Slackware Distributions to Independent Linux Distributions.

Also added Fedora.

1 Like

Added BSDs

This needs to be in a stand-alone repo on Bitbucket or Github.

1 Like

Agreed.

1 Like

Maintaining documentation is easy, no one does it though. I would be happy to maintain a repo.

Yes, when I first posted it, it was maybe 1/4 as long as it is now.

I was thinking it could be a Github ‘Gist’. I’ve never made a gist before. Would that be appropriate? Happy to make a repo for it as well.

Yes. I was not aware that Github had branded the word repository in to Gist. Sometimes you just gotta laugh. This would work well though.

You can still have a repo. A gist is more like bitbucket… a piece of code instead of a full blown application.

I’ll take a look at it and do whatever makes the most sense.

Are you interested in contributing/editing?

1 Like

Absolutely.

1 Like

Awesome. I’ll get it set up and link it here when it’s ready.

I think I want to keep it in markdown so that it can be easily viewed on Github and possibly integrated into a Raneto site.

Of course, I’m totally open to suggestions on general formatting or anything else.

Let’s do it!

Hey sorry, I’ve got it like 95% set up. I spun up a vm to see how it looks in Raneto and played around with that for a while.

I was almost done and then I started getting notifications from a NAS that was hanging from a half-dead drive. I got that fixed, but now it’s 2AM, so I’m gonna finish it up tomorrow.

I did decide to go with a repo and not just a gist.

1 Like

Let me know how I can help if need be

Hey, the repo is up on github. The info is at the top of the thread ↑

I called it docsDoc which is probably more lame than it is clever, but at least it’s short.

@dot404, if you have a better idea for a name, let me know.

Funny, I was just working on installing node on my lappy. And for some reason I am having a hell of a time getting it installed. Currently using Ubuntu 17.10. Taking a look at the interwebz and this seems to be a common issue on 17.10.

Running this command:
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_8.x | sudo -E bash -

I get this:
Error executing command, exiting

I ran it through a bash verification tool that I found online and https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_8.x for sure has some errors in it.

I should not really be surprised. However Node has always been one of those things that just works.

You also don’t have Node as a requirement in your repot.

Nice work. Text editors might be worth adding as a section . . .

Yeah, I’m a little out of my element here. I usually just do sysadmin stuff. I spent a good amount of time getting Node running on an AWS instance today. I tried RHEL 7.4, Fedora and finally settled on Ubuntu 16.04. I was wanting to run it properly with PM2, but couldn’t figure out how to install Raneto globally… kept getting permissions issues on all distributions. Ubuntu gave me the most up to date node version, so I went with that and just used the npm built-in server.

The INSTALL script I wrote up will get you from a vanilla Ubuntu 16.04 to running docsDoc in Raneto on port 3000 with no further intervention (including installing Node and Raneto). The update script will refresh the content directory. I wrote it pretty quickly, so it’s not a work of art, but it definitely works on the AWS instance.

Again, out of my element a little. I use GitHub exclusively to store/deploy scripts I use for sysadmin stuff. I’m hoping to learn more about using git to actually collaborate.

Do I need to set a requirement parameter somewhere, or just document it in the README? Sorry if that’s a stupid question. I googled it briefly but got a bunch of unrelated stuff.