After looooong time - time to build my next pc

Well of course there basically is nothing wrong,
with pairing a 3600X with a decent B450 board.
If you could live with the possible limitations you could run into.
But like i said, you need one that supports flashing bios without cpu.
Or you need to be lucky that the boards comes flashed out of the box already.
But that would be really rare.

Still it kinda depends on budget of course.
But i generally agree with you.
If you build a new system anyways then also go with the newest boards if you can.
Unless the budget is really limited.
But like i said decent B450 boards / X470 boards that support bios flashback aren’t that cheap either.

I’m sorry, but we are talking about a 200$ CPU here. We aren’t talking about the absolute high end.
No GPU i could/would afford is even close to using 16x PCIe 3.0 Why would i care for PCIe 4? I’m not planning to get an SSD that’s fast enough for it either. I’m just migrating off Sata SSD’s to a modest NVMe drive. Plus i’m pretty sure you won’t notice the difference in actually using your PC. Sure, for Editors and Creators, the added 2GB/s in throughput might be a benefit, but not on my Gaming system.

There is litterally nothing on the X570 Platform that i care about now. And if, by some miracle, PCIe 4 GPU’s become midrange next year (which i doubt) i can still upgrade to a board one year later at a much lower cost without having to replace anything else.

Getting X570 now, apart from edge cases or e-Peni*, is no benefit at all.

What is “really limited” for you? Even in a 1000$ PC, a entry level x570 Board is one fifth the cost without ANY impact on Performance. You could spend the difference to a good B450 Board on upgrading a whole GPU Class.

Again, i can’t see anything on X570 that i’d need know. And i can always upgrade later if this changes. Thank god AM4 is backwards compatible.

Having something and not immediately using it is not neccessarily a bad thing. Often extends the life of an existing build far longer.

Storage is a key interest atm and strong focus of many vendors.

While gpu’s may not at approach it anytime soon … Storage will.

You wanna save a buck that is fine… Sometimes these things do not advance like they should. The storage may.

I am currently dragging my feet on 3000 /x570 build. The MB’s are almost ready to start dropping in prices.

Seriously, when was the last time you thought: “Gee, i sure which my 3GB/s NVMe SSD would be able to do 4GB/s”.
While it is a 25% improvement (and only in optimal cases, with smaller files and such speeds plumet quickly), i’m 99% sure you can’t tell the difference in a live system.

In higher end Database scenarios, where IOPS are king, or storage that needs to saturate multiple 10s of workstations, i can maybe see the benefit, but firefox launching 0.02s faster or my PC booting half a second faster? We are at a point where even lower end NVMe’s are “fast enough” for any End-user application.

Its THE focus at the moment, because improvements can be made, are easier to achieve and cheaper to buy for consumers.
GPU’s and CPU’s Topped out some time ago, improvements are miniscule and the hardware is just really expensive for the consumer. It’s not that we actually need even faster storage. It’s just that it’s easier to market 25% improvements on an SSD over 2% on a GPU…

I get that enthusiasts want to play with this. That’s fine. It’s exciting tech and i get it, but there is zero factual benefit in PCIe 4 for any Build private end-user would do.

Yeah i can see where you are getting from.
I mentioned that in the other topic as well, $200,- ish X570 boards,
are a bit steap for a Ryzen 5 setup.
I really hope that board manufacturers bring B550 boards soon.
Or they should ship out B450 / X470 revision 2.0 boards with pre flashed bioses to the retailers.
So that that you know for sure that the particular combo works out of the box.
Otherwise your choices for a cheap bang for buck setup with a 3600 / 3600X on B450,
are very limited when it comes to board choice.
Probably only the two Msi boards i mentioned above, but i have to check that out.
Maybe also one of the Asus strix models, but i kinda doubt that.
Because Asus is generally very good at gimping down on use full features,
so that they wanne make you pay more to get it.

1 Like

MSI has listed a couple new B450/X470 specifically for Ryzen 3000 support out of the box, they all have “Max” in the name, including a Tomahawk. I don’t know if they are available yet though.

2 Likes

Oh cool. Didn’t know that.

You’d have to check their website for exact models, but pictures of the boxes show a “Supports Ryzen 3000 Desktop” label.

I haven’t seen any out in the wild yet though :frowning:

Hmm, it looks really not bad ^^

After a lot of thinking i decided to ditch rx5xx + 3600 plans and go with b450 i aorus pro motherboard(itx with 2xhdmi and dp for 3 displays i have) and 2400g, would ditch old case and psu and go with fractal node 304 + pure power 11 400W CM

How are things looking with 2400g, i’ve read that 3400g works better on linux? I use arch btw :smiley: so pretty much latest software i guess all newer kernels should fix as much issues as possible?

@MisteryAngel you venture into build a PC more than me so this might be useful
https://premiumbuilds.com/motherboards/list-of-motherboards-with-usb-bios-flashback/

2 Likes