After BSing for years, I can finally build a gaming rig. Soon. So here's what I've got so far

Yes, people. It is I. Wyldecat. Dear god, after finding this 'new' forum and learning of Wendel and Logan going their separate ways, I wish I could change my username.

But, alas. That is off topic.

Today I am here to ask humbly for assistance in finally building the gaming PC I've been BSing about since 2013. I am finacially in a position to do so, given how I'm nearly 20 and have a job now, and it is quickly becoming an outright NECESSITY what with my current 'rig' -a slightly modified Dell XPS 420- basically being on life support, now.

Anyways. I've compiled a Ryzen 5 based parts list, and the overall goal for this PC is to be a home media, gaming, websurfing box. I might edit videos in the future, as I'm also getting into FPV race drones, and I MIGHT, but not likely for a while, stream with it.

As far as peripherals, I have a keyboard and mouse I'm very happy with, but will be replacing my late 90's to early 2000's grade 2.1 speakers, and I will also be getting headphones for gaming. I will contact another forum for the latter.

And I WILL be getting a new monitor, too. My 19" 75hz 1440x900 5ms Dell that came with this pc is also aging, and quite small, too. I want to go 21x9 as well, and high refresh rate, IPS, etc. I'll live with the 16:10 I've got for now, as I already know which monitor best fits the bill (a $600 2560x1080 IPS 144hz dealio) but it costs out the butt, so it'll definitely be a 'slightly down the line' thing.

All in all, I don't want to spend more than $1100-$1300 total, I want it to be able to double up on ram in the future by simply buying more sticks of the same stuff, and I also want it to be able to do dual graphics cards in the future as a means of increasing graphical horsepower once I can afford it.

This means it'll likely need a higher wattage PSU that originally intended to support this, as well as POSSIBLE custom water cooling. It all depends on whether or not gaming recaptures my soul again, as I haven't been able to do it SINCE 2013 when this PC started dying.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've rambled too much, so I'll just say my last few things here and post the link to what I've conjured up so far.

I have no strong preferance to any retailer as long as they aren't trash and shipping isn't a beech, but Amazon would be mighty convenient seeing as I have prime. I live in the US, and use USD as my currency. I DEFINITELY need a copy of windows.

I absolutely HATE the shiish I have to go through and have had to go through with the pirated version. Also, since I need that, I'll need a disc drive, which is already in my list. But I don't need a LESSER disc drive, because it will also be used for movies given how this is going to be a multimedia box as well as a gaming rig.

I DON'T however, need a case, as I will be making a custom PC desk out of wood here pretty soon that will fit basically any size mobo besides HPTX and have plenty of room leftover for water cooling, power supplies and such. Overclocking will likely be immediate, though, as I like to get the most out of my components. Kinda like putting bolt on mods to an otherwise stock car and then giving it a tune. Or like better tires, etc.

Lastly, since I can't afford a $1000 plus 3440x1440 monitor (even in the future, I can't justify an equal cost of my rig for a monitor. At least, I don't think I can/will) I want to be playing at 2560x1080 144fps using freesync and medium to high presets on current triple-A games.

Finally a couple of questions. I'll have to save up for about 2-ish months for everything, so would it be better to just wait for better mobos and graphics cards to come out? Such as Vega?

Also, on the point of motherboards, all I really NEED is micro ATX. One little PCI-E for a sound card if the sound sucks, one little PCI-E for a WiFi card if they never make a Micro ATX with WiFi, and two GPU slots. So far, I haven't found one with WiFi, I totally don't know about Ryzen motherboard audio quality, and I can't find one that fits the bill and is either B350, or X370 that wouldn't have one or both of the graphics cards blocking the little PCI-E, which would make the slot unusable, hence why I want one that already comes with WiFi and good sound.

Gods, I'm rambling again. Major effing props to whoever reads ALL of this. Anyway, here's my parts list, guys. Finally, right???

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nLkxm8
{{For anyone clicking or replying after 10:30am GMT-5, I've changed the link and edited the build a bit.}}

Boy you sure included a Lot of information and Questions.:laughing: I will try and answer your questions as best I can while I am not an expert I have built a few gaming rig and currently have a media/ gaming rig myself.
Ok let start with my first bit of advice I wouldn't build my case out of wood, I have never done it but I would be concerned about it caching on fire. Ryzen cpu produce a lot of heat and in my opinion the risk of wood catching on fire would concern me.

Second I am not sure but I think you need to purchase 2 sticks of ram at a time at least that was true about 5 years ago which was the last time I built a computer. I would check with Asrock to see if you can add one stick at a time. Also I would check to see if what ever ram you pick is compatible with Ryzen. Ryzen is very finicky when it comes to memory. I would also go with lower speed ram if I could because you are not going to get the memory to run at anywhere near that speed, not without winning some sort of Lottery. (We now have to types of Lottery when it comes to Ryzen the speed at witch memory will run stable and how far you can over clock them).

For the ssdI would go for nothing less than a 500 GB, I am assuming you will be installing Windows on the ssd, some programs won't allow you to install on a different media than the media that the operating software is installed on. At least I sure did fill up my ssd on my laptop real quick.

I would lower the change the power supply to a lower wattage, stick with the same brand but lower the wattage. Graphic card today are more efficient than they use to be, which in my opinion is why a lot of people have the opinion water cooling isn't better than air cooling, at least that is true now.

If you are willing to put up with Linux poor support for games, you could save your self the cost of the operating software and switch to Linux. Right now I am running my media server under Linux using Plex as my media software. If you do decide to switch I would suggest switch to Linux Mint I found Linux Mint to be as close to operating like Windows as any of the other distros of Linux I have tried.

To give you an idea of what I would do in your situation these are the parts I would buy.My Ryzen Pc Build

My Dell has run both with 3 out of 4 slots filled and 1 out of 4 slots filled. I bought IT 7 years ago. And it was likely a 2 year old model by then{Dell XPS 420} seeing as it came with Shista. I mean Vista....

So I don't think that will be a problem.

Linus Tech Tips built a custom wood PC desk and it seemed fine. Wood is easier and cheaper for me to work with than metal, though, I would be able to build the desk in a way which would allow me to change the component carrying section over to a metal drop-in box in the future. Should be fine.

As far as the memory goes, if I can find it cheaper and with a similar color scheme, fine. But likely, I won't change it, as that is some of the cheapest 1x16gb I've found, already. The only thing cheaper, really, is a 1x8gb 2800mhz kit.

For the SSD, I agree, but I was trying to save a little money somewhere. I'll change it. 500 is much roomier than 250.

Not gonna change the PSU. Yes, GPU's and even CPU's are more efficient now, but it has to be able to handle DUAL GPU AND possible water cooling in the future. I've also read about guys who've bought a 700w PSU only to go through their first build and find they need a 1000w on the next one for the very reason I stated above. More power used for whatever reason, usually more components. I wanna just transfer my first PSU to the next build until the warranty runs out, or the thing fries. Which should be well into a decade from when I get it, given how it won't be excessively taxed right off the bat.

Not using Linux. I'm stubborn here and need the game support and program support.

Everything else looks good though, right? Good plan for the future, too with adding a graphics card and more ram?

If you got wheels and there is a Microcenter they are unbeatable for cpu/MB combos
Best Buy has been great for refurbished 1080 27 inch monitors for me.
I bought an OEM Win 10 for dau and a full version of 8.1 for mine. Now I am wondering if saving 10 bucks is gonna make upgrading her cpu/mb (7870k/a88x) is gonna be a headache.
An expensive case may look good on a video or a forum but my view is if it does not add FPS to your game go cheap!
A year from now you may end up putting 2 days worth of dishes on top of the case. I do all the time:)

Everything else looks good though, right? Good plan for the future, too with adding a graphics card and more ram?

Yes everything else looks good I can see where you might not want to change your power supply, I had an old power supply rated at 1200 watts which I was going to use for my Ryzen build but it got fried.

The only parts I will be able to salvage from my desktop are the case, mouse, keyboard and optical drive everything else got destroyed by a power surge. The reason I chose Nividia over AMD is I need more performance than any card AMD currently can provide. I am keeping an eye on Vega, but the rumor mill puts Vega performance on par with the Nividia 1070 if that is true it looks like I will be staying with Nividia, because I need the performance of a Nividia 1080 at least.

Well, another 2 reasons I want an AMD card are for parity with the CPU, and for Freesync, which doesn't cost a premium for the monitor or GPU, works on all current AMD GPU's regardless of performance level, and works smoothly to lower framerates than G-stink.

At least as long as my information is correct.

And tossing in another card and more ram would be literally instinctual when I have the money. Two 580s are equal to a 1080 for around the same, if not lower price. Not to mention overclocking. Plus I like the look of the card I chose.

As far as the other guy, I don't have wheels yet and I have no idea where a Microcenter is near Brandon or Tampa Florida. The case that I make will be a PC desk, so it'll have dishes on it anyway when I eat at my PC. But nothing should get INTO the components because I'll have dust filters on it and the glass top panel will have a rubber edging around it and a snug fit.

Also, I have to say, Shadow.... I'm quite disappointed in the link you sent me. I know you said it's what YOU would do in my situation, but It doesn't include a disk drive, doubles the ram already, go's NUTS on the SSD, and for some reason still has the HDD there, too?

32gb is like the absolute MAX I want to go, and I'm already debating the 16gb idea with only the one 580. I'm wondering if I should make it 8gb with the 580, and get 8gb more when I get the second 580. At the same time, I MAY just end up with 32 in the future, however unlikely, and I've read that having FEWER sticks of ram is better for Ryzen, so IDK. I think 16gb singles will do me very well, as the single 580 should push the desired framerates and medium to medium-high settings on the 2560x1080 144hz monitor I want, and then the second one and more ram would make it go even further, perhaps high to ultra settings.

The price isn't bad, either....... I dunno. lemme think on it, I suppose. I just wanted confirmation in general that I wasn't effing this build up and completely screwing myself. Kinda like getting a 6" frame with 1900kv motors and running 3s and 5" props on that as a first race drone build. {{which such a build would totally suck balls by the way as a complete waste of money.}}

Also, I have to say, Shadow.... I'm quite disappointed in the link you sent me. I know you said it's what YOU would do in my situation, but It doesn't include a disk drive, doubles the ram already, go's NUTS on the SSD, and for some reason still has the HDD there, too?

32gb is like the absolute MAX I want to go, and I'm already debating the 16gb idea with only the one 580. I'm wondering if I should make it 8gb with the 580, and get 8gb more when I get the second 580. At the same time, I MAY just end up with 32 in the future, however unlikely, and I've read that having FEWER sticks of ram is better for Ryzen, so IDK. I think 16gb singles will do me very well, as the single 580 should push the desired framerates and medium to medium-high settings on the 2560x1080 144hz monitor I want, and then the second one and more ram would make it go even further, perhaps high to ultra settings.

The price isn't bad, either....... I dunno. lemme think on it, I suppose. I just wanted confirmation in general that I wasn't effing this build up and completely screwing myself. Kinda like getting a 6" frame with 1900kv motors and running 3s and 5" props on that as a first race drone build. {{which such a build would totally suck balls by the way as a complete waste of money.}}

In my case I need at least 32 GB of ram because I always run 3 or 4 Virtual machines at the same time. There are other considerations why so far I am sticking with Nividia instead of switching to AMD. Like being able to hook up 3 monitors to one graphic card, There are some experiments with Linux I want to try and AMD just doesn't provide the horse power. As I said in my last post I am keeping my eye on Vega, but all the rumor I am hearing it isn't going to provide the horse power I need. I guess you didn't understand what I was trying to use that link for. The link was only suppose to give you an idea's on how to improve your part list. like increase your ssd size. What I need is a lot more horse power than you need. I do a lot of video editing and streaming so a 1TB ssd makes sense in my case and I have a huge video collection. I might even increase the hhd size to 8 or ten TB

Also adding 2 580 to replace the performance of a 1080 wouldn't work, if I understand how SLI work's because all the software and games I have don't support AMD's answer to SLI.

I don't know if you ever have heard of a website called Kingquin where you can purchase any Windows key for between S15 to $50 United States dollars. I personly haven't purchased anything from this website yet. I am waiting until I am ready to setup Windows 10 running in a virtual machine under Linux before I purchase a copy of Windows 10, but it seems like a way to save ten's of dollars if not 100 dollars on a copy of Windows 10. The website was mentioned in the latest issue of either Maximum PC, PC World, or PC Magazine. I can't find the article I came across, so that is the reason I haven't posted a link to it here. I thought my fellow posters might be interested, which is the reason I posted the information I came across here.