Affordable Performance RWD Cars

I do actually know how to maintain a wankle engine, it just seems like a lot of effort IMHO.... I know about all their common problems, oil being the number one thing to think about! :joy: ... I've read someone say, you'll spend more on oil than you would on fuel with a wankle engine, I think that may be a slight exaggeration, but then again, I don't actually know if that's the case or not...

Well if you pick up a cheap one, it will break but everyone has this misconception that they all break. As long as the engine hasn't already been damaged, letting it warm up before pushing, not shutting it off cold, keeping oil topped up and finally revving it to 9k every drive and they will last a long time. I'm talking 200-300km's easy. It's essentially low powered racing engines. If you don't maintain them, they will die. Maintain them and they will reward you.

RX8 is one of the best sports cars of its age when it comes to everything except reliability. And reliability is more of a maintenance issue.

If you're really worried, the low cost in Europe means you won't lose much in the worst case.

However only buy 6 speed manual versions. If it doesn't rev to 9k, it is a dud and a waist of money. (9k rev required to burn off carbon on the renises)

1 Like

Oil consumption is no more than a BMW that burns a little extra oil. No where near as bad as people say. About a quart every 3,000km's

Thatā€™s true, but when I say Ā£500 or so, I mean the mileage is VERY low, as in not even 30k, I know thatā€™s still enough to do some damage, donā€™t get me wrong, but as for reliability, I know thatā€™s a matter of maintenance. But for me personally, I donā€™t think that would be an issue, Iā€™m overly good with my maintenance on my current daily, a 1.3 TDI hatch, reliable as hell, but Iā€™ve looked after it and taken care of it more than whatā€™s necessary, thereā€™s no doubt about thatā€¦

If thatā€™s the case, then thatā€™s awesome, I have a friend that owns a BMW and heā€™s noticed how it likes to burn a bit of oil here and there. Iā€™ve also read that itā€™s a good idea to put a little bit of oil into the fuel tank? - For the engine, itā€™s meant to be good, but correct me if Iā€™m wrong, would that have any bad effect on the fuel pump?

Pre mixing is a good idea if you don't mind the extra cost for the piece of mind. As long as you premix two stroke oil, it should be fine.

Oh one last thing, recommended to do an oil change every 5k. Can push to 8k. That's the biggest cost. Can get away with a partial oil change every 5k and a complete every 15k

I think I'd probably do a full oil change nearly every month, I s$!t you not, I do a ridiculous amount of mileage, I mean although I'm thinking about it as a toy. It would be nice to use it on the road every now and again, which is why I'm not gonna aim for getting the power to be way past north of 400 BHP or anything like that, there's no need for that on roads, sure, it's cool, but it's rare you'd get the chance to use that power, and even if you do, in Britain, due to the crappy roads, you're probably gonna put yourself and others in the way of danger. 300 BHP, I'd be over the moon with that, any more, it's just a track car then IMO.

I drive at least, I mean this excludes any form of casual driving(to shops or for fun or whatever), this is just too and from work, about 400+ miles. But I swear, before now, I've done more than that in a day, I like my long journeys. I like to drive a little too much really, which is why I shouldn't get a track toy and ever use it as a daily, the fuel alone would be bad enough, but disregard that, the maintenance & cost of maintenance.... Hmmm.... Food for thought either way...

I mean in the ideal world, I'd have something that doesn't really exist, something very fast, very sexy to look at, something that's reliable beyond belief, and cheap to run.... But I'm sure nearly everyone ever wants that kinda car?! :joy:

You need a Camry.

Ford Siera. :smiley:

But Of course Toyota MR2.

Neither are as cheap as a good ol' MX-5, plus with the MR2's, the MKIII's, I think they look fugly if I'm honest, I'm really not a fan of the looks, MKII and MKI's are so rare, likelihood you'll find one that's already f$!ked up.... :frowning: .... I really like the MKII MR2... :frowning: .... I don't mind the MKI, but the MKII does it for me out of all of the MR2's...

Ford Siera isn't that cheap, considering..

Well an MX5 isnt that great either tbh.
Of course they are cheap, but they just are just rust buckets.

NA miata are rust buckets. NB miata's tend to be pretty clean.

isn't the suzuki cappuccino available in the UK?

Yeah, I agree with you 100% there, they're not exactly sexy to look at in all fairness, but they're famous for being fun, I don't actually know from experience, that's just what I've read up. And cheap, well you said it yourself.....

Rust, yeah, that's something you've got to look out for when shopping for an MX-5, and here in the U.K., in the winter, we like our grit salt.... So yeah.... :joy:

It's the NB's I'm looking at, just because.... Why not? Slightly newer, may as well?

VERY few, I mean they're rare, but aren't they dog s$!t slow too? .... I'm pretty sure my first car had more power... :joy:

You can get a much better car with lower mileage for the price.

EDIT: Unless you're a mad man with money to burn and a spare SR20VE engine lying around like this guy did.
https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=15070

Or a Hayabusa K7 1.3L inline 4 cylinder
https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=8903
0-62 mph in under three seconds, 0-100 mph in 6.6 seconds and reaches a top speed of 145 mph.

Or just tune the original engine.

2 Likes

Earlier models are slow. The later models had a turbo and were quicker than you would expect.

I mean the car weighs nothing. A lawn mower engine in that car would probably get you to highway speeds.

Plus it would be easier to weave in and out of traffic.

The only reason I'd get an NB is if it fully loaded and the same price and condition as an NA. It's the same exact engine but they took away flippy lights.

I f$!king like that guy.... :joy: .... Sounds like my kinda guy tbf..

Good point! :joy:

Aka, something stupid that could go wrong....

1 Like

Mine still work 20 years later

Like I said, could, doesn't mean it will, but it could happen, you get where I'm coming from? :joy: