Advice on how to best utilize my ZFS pool

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

After doing a lot of reading around I ended up creating a dataset and sharing it out via Samba.
I didn’t use ZFS’ built in Samba sharing and instead set it all up manually so I could have Windows take over permissions on certain folders and have Linux take care of some others (I have a mixed environment at home).

It’s working beautifully, I’ve only got around 40GB of data on there at the moment and I’m going to make sure that’s ok for the next 2 weeks or so before migrating the rest of the data and turning off the old server.

I’ve been reading a lot into datasets and it’s pretty interesting what you can do with them, one thing I have learnt though is that I need to get out of the habit of treating this like a traditional filesystem :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again
Steve

How many VMs running which OS’s?

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or another moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.