Advice on a CPU setup that can serve me for a while

Well the R5's are out.

Yeah, the 1600x seems to be the new favorite amongst reviewers. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a way to unlock the last two 2 cores to make the 1600x into 1800x, as was the case for AMD's past lower SKUs of CPUs.

1 Like

If it was just CSGO and rocket league the new Kaby Lake 2c4t hyperthreaded Pentium would be perfect. Keith who is a huge AMD fan raves about it.
I can't see more then 8 threads for gaming. Programmers who write gaming code tend to be lazy:)
Of course you would be looking at around 100 bucks for cpu/mb

BTW I won't allow Intel in my home but it does look like a great budget cpu

1600x Is the best Ryzen chip for straight gaming. And should be enough for any gaming scenario (unless you are going for high frame rates) and absolutely slaughters productivity stuff. As well, AM4 is a much more long term platform than anything that Intel has. Intel puts out a new platform with nearly every release. iirc, AMD is planning on using AM4 until 2020.

I don't think it's a case of laziness, so much. Gaming computations must be done in pretty hardcore real-time situations. So having a bunch of mutexes and sems waiting, would be really counter productive for the flow of the frames. However, I can imagine making a really CPU intensive game that does all the collisions, on one core. All the movement on another core. and all the input on a final core. But this still leaves a lot of unused cores. Maybe having branching threads handling each part of their collision object tree could be useful.
Either way, hopefully, you can see the problem is a bit more complicated than laziness.

I have a 4790k at 4.6ghz and the main reason I bought it was the same as you... I already had 32gb of ddr3 2133 and I didnt want to waste it.

It does okay.. every now and again I lose the plot and consider an 1800x upgrade but then I come back down to reality and realise that what I have is more than good enough for what I currently use it for.

Thanks for the replies guys! :smiley: Well i was thinking on getting the 1500X i think the 4C/8T would be enough but i want to wait a little bit until the platform matures a little bit, regarding the memory and motherboards stuff going on (well that's what i'm looking on some posts from other forums).

But i think for the moment i will stay a little bit on the socket 1155 and try to get a better gpu with the money saved. I was thinking on a 2nd gen or 3rd gen i5 or i7. What would be a better choice? I already have a mATX H77 motherboard. Also i will get 8GB of ram from the 4gb i already have.