Advice on a CPU setup that can serve me for a while

With ryzen and also with kaby lake on the market, i'm starting to consider to upgrade my main computer to have a little more performance. I'm a student so that means i'm not able to make upgrades every year or two years, as the title says i'm looking for a CPU setup that can last me a for a good amount of time something like 4 or 5 years for example and considering that the gpu market evolves more faster, to be able to keep up with most gpus.

I know "future proofing" it's impossible, tech evolves every year and we get better and better hardware either more faster or efficient. But i'm looking for something i can be set for years to come until i feel the need to upgrade when i start to do more intensive tasks.

The usage of my PC currently it's gaming and school. I'm studying computer engineering but i don't do any heavy tasks, all i do in my computer for school is mostly programming and maybe some software for electronics here and there but nothing heavy or complicated.

For gaming i'm planning to get a 1080p 144Hz monitor so i would like to stay on the 144fps range for competitive/fps/online? games like CS:GO or Rocket League for example and on AAA titles stay on 60fps.

I don't mind either AMD or Intel, just something that can meet my requirements.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post :p.

Max budget && would you mind if the computer suggested is an OEM machine? ( oem meaning dell, hp etc. )

I was going to get me one of these because I can't Ryzen either:

I'm on mobile so give me a bit. But there is CPU support paper out on the HP website. If you get the 2nd version of the block code, you can upgrade this thing to a 12 core v2 Xeon. You know, for down the road stuff.

Found it: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-0129ENUC

Also block code talk: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z620-upgrade-to-E5-2640-V2-CPU/td-p/5053539

2 Likes

According to your main needs, you dont really need allot of cores as far as i can see.
But according to your game play needs, it looks to me that you are a compatitive fps player.
So i would say Kabylake 7700K is probablly going to be your best bett atm.

1 Like

I dont have any budget on mind, maybe max. 350-400 ish usd? But i'm open for suggestions.
It's for the cpu, mobo, ram and cooler if it's needed. I'm mainly looking for a processor suggestion and depending of the choice i will start looking for the other parts. :)

I was thinking also on going for an older architecture if it's necessary, because i already have some ddr3 ram but i'm fine on going on the next upgrade ddr4, it would be better i think :p

Thanks @MisteryAngel, well i'm a all around gamer :p but sounds like a good option

Well seeying that you are on a pretty tight budget.
i could recommend to wait a few weeks before the AMD Ryzen R5 cpu´s are comming out,
and see what those are upto.
Because some rumored prices of the R5-1600X which is a 6 core 12 threads cpu would be arround $249,-
So if you pair that with a B350 motherboard and some memory,
you might exally be able to do that for arround $400,-
You will loose a bit of gaming performance to Kabylake depending on the gpu.
But still its of course significantly cheaper.

Allthough yeah the 7700K is still the better gaming cpu atm ofc.
But yeah the 7700K is still relatively expensive for a 4 core 8 threads cpu ofc.

2 Likes

I'm waiting for them, but i feel like for what i do currently or my usage i can't justify the 6 cores, well that's what i'm thinking but i would consider it anyway as an option.

Another option i was looking it's the i5 7600K but i feel that the i7 can serve me for more time and even if i want to upgrade for a more powerful gpu. Yeah that's another thing, the price..... :s

Well yeah i personally think that the 1600X Ryzen cpu might exally become a sweet spot for gamers.
Because its ment to compete with a core i5, but those are only quadcore parts with no hyperthreading.
Allthough most gamers dont really benefit that much from having more then 4 cores yet.
But we do slowly start to see scenario´s on which the i5 gets out of fuss at times.
And thats where the Ryzen 1600X is going to become interesting.
Okay the i5-7600K will still have its clockspeeds and overclock potential advantage now.
So it will still loose to Kabylake 7600K and 7700K in many games depending on the gpu you pair with it.
But in the future with higherend graphics cards, games might exally start to benefit from having more cores.
Or in scenario´s were you like to game and streaming at the same time.
Those scenario´s are wenn the Ryzen 1600X 6 core 12 threads might become interesting to look at.

What is your particular opinion about that?

1 Like

I don't mind loosing a little performance on gaming, i'm fine if it can keep up with future gpu upgrades :) I think so, i will look forward on the 1600X. I really like the possibility of upgrading to a 8 core if i need more computing power more in the future or well depending of what i will be doing when i start working on something related of what i'm studying.

The 7700k looks like a tempting option tho but the price not so much :/ I made a list and it's like 550 - ish usd just for the upgrade of cpu, damn.

If AMD sticks to their pattern, then the AM4 platform will be here to stay for the next several years. Conversely, Intel changes sockets and chipsets with regularity.

1 Like

Yeah the 7700K is so expensive because it basiclly is the cpu,
with the best per core performance and ipc on the market right now.
And thats what gamers in general benefits the most from.
But yeah even though its an i7, it still has only 4 physical cores and 8 logical threads.
So yeah if you look at its price point $300,-+ thats still allot of cash.

Also yeah like @BarkingMad allready said above.
AMD will stick to AM4 for about 4 years.
So any future cpu´s they bring out will be compatible.

1 Like

It's a big plus for me, so i think i will look up on the Ryzen 5 cpus and look how it will hold up in performance. 6C/12T for more or less the price of an i5 it's pretty good. I will highly consider it, i think it will serve me well for the time i will be using it. :)

I mean yeah a Ryzen 1600X rumored at $249,-
Trow it on a B350 board or a cheaper X370 board.
And some memory, you will spend less then $500,-

So i would definitelly wait for those.
There will also be a R5-1600 with lower base clocks.
But you could eventually overclock them to 1600X levels probablly.

1 Like

Another question, because i already have DDR3 ram from my current build it would be an option to go for a used cpu? Like an used Haswell cpu for example? I know it's a more older option but i'm considering it because of the price.

4790K on a Z97 board would still be a decent platform yeah definitelly.
But the only issue you might run into in the future,
if your motherboard dies, it might be a bit of a challange to find a replacement for it.
Because that platform is allready eol for a while.

For that budget I can only push you to a phenom X6 1100T build on 890GX.

Wait for R5 for that budget, thats what I am doing.

There are still Haswell Xeon 1231 v3's new available for 200
4 core 8 thread
But if it is gonna be a 5 year upgrade I would wait for the next round of Ryzen models.
Of course if you have a 4790k already you may want to get another year out of it. I want another year out of my 8320e but after 30 minutes in the forum the upgrade urge gets stronger and stronger:)

After a year the MB bugs should be fixed, I keep telling myself how much better the Phenom II was over the Phenom I's

I bet when the AMD R5 chips release, your choice will be pretty easy... If your after the "best bang" for your buck...

Just my 2 Cents :-)

With a budget at $400 u might have to consider 2nd hand market

I was thinking too on save a little in the CPU and get a better GPU. I was thinking on a 3rd because i have a 1155 motherboard already or 4th gen depending on my budget, either an i5 or i7.
Just for curiosity, for a GTX 1070 which cpu would be the "minimum" to pair with?

Sorry guys for bringing back this topic. So the Ryzen 5 it's out and i'm a little confused about should i get one of those CPUs? I was looking for the 4c/8t cpu but i dont know how well are in terms of performance, or should i look for the 6c/12t sku or it would be better to look on the used market?