Advice on a build

usually i just build basic computers for things like web browsing, youtube, media server/storage etc.
one of my sons wants a computer to do gaming and video editing (adobe premier was mentioned)
i was thinking about something like a ryzen 3400g with 16-32GB ram on a b450 board like the following partial lists:

i also put a threadripper one together with the 8 core threadripper (pcie lanes for capture cards and whatnot)

the idea is upgrade-ability in the future, right now he just wants to get started , and i have some ram, a case and a corsair PSU, which wont be enough for the the threadripper. i think the threadripper will be out of his reach (financially) for the time being.
i edited one of the lists to drop the rx580 to a rx570 : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qg2Zkd

Whats the Budget?

most likely about $ 600 US.

Your second option is spot on. Ryzen 3600, RX580. Great bang for the buck.

I’d personally change the SSD for a Samsung 500GB and throw in a 4TB Spinning drive.

Maybe like this:

RX590s are only a few bucks more. THis comes around to 680$. BUt i included RAM. I have no clue what you have, but Ryzen 3000 seems to like faster RAM.

You could even go with an NVMe Drive. The Samsung 970 Evo isn’t much more expensive. Though you’d be hard pressed to actually notice it in day to day work. I’ve just personally have had great experience with my Samsung SSDs. WD, not so much.

ive had decent luck with WD drives, and fantastic luck with samsung. ive had very poor luck with seagates (like every one ive ever owned, and alot of those i had to replace for others), and thus i never consider them.

the ram i have is 8 GB of gskill 2133; it overclocks to 2966 without issue. but that will not be enough to run premier properly.

Ryzen 3rd gen likes RAM at like 3400 -3600 really, and it does make a pretty big difference.

ive changed the list to this : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MrHQFt
basically went with the rx570 , 16GB gskill 3200 RAM , a 500 GB evo sata ssd and a 1TB spinning rust drive. he can upgrade that at a later date, or add more storage as needed. if he can come up with another $100 then the video card goes to a rx580/590 .

That looks pretty good, certainly don’t need to go super hard in GPU for a starter editor

and if he wants to use premier you need a Windows license

i have windows licenses already. since he is my son i would simply give it to him. he would be responsible for the adobe license though.

Resolve is apparently pretty good lol