Advice on 3rd build / final touches

need some advice on parts an finishing up my 3rd build

Out of the box can i update the gigabyte b550m ds3h Bios using the q flash with

the 5600x already installed or would i need to run it on a 3300x first ?

my build to be is black atom - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, Radeon RX 6700 XT, Fractal Design Pop Mini Air MicroATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

or this version

PC Builder - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, Radeon RX 6700 XT, Fractal Design Pop Mini Air MicroATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker im still trying to decide

on the ram id either go with what in the build list or maybe either 4 x of

or 4 x of

iv currently got the mobo ,cpu , gpu, both nvme , aio ,case , fans , burner , fan hubs , heatsinks , usb c add-on card ,

mouse , keyboard , iv yet to get the ram , the 2tb ssd an monitor iv got a 650watt seasonic gold psu

but i want to get the evga 850 for power headroom unless the 650 is enough for a

10 to 15% oc on both cpu & gpu

im not sure wither the desired ram is best or one of the two other stated is better as id do like the 1.2volt option

your thoughts on ram , psu , 2tb ssd an monitor would be great thanks

fyi

the cpu is ok for my needs i got what i could at the time which was two 1/2 months ago if i had more cash at the time i

would have got the 5800x an i might later on but for now im sticking with it , an why so much ram i do hi rez image an

pix editing an creation 10000x10000 min at 200 to 300dpi an also vid editing an on my previous build i found the i did

better with 64gb over 32 as some of my projects chew up wards of 38 - 45gb , an why i prefer 1s over kit is above all

price i buy in chunks an buy when in stock an i have the cash which right now is coming up at the end of the month ill

have just about 115$ to use thats got to cover sh&tx

would either of these be a good pair with the gigabyte b550m ds3h

over either of the current picks in the build lists

2 x of https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wnbCmG/

or

2 x of https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3q2WGX/kingston-fury-beast-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-cl16-memory-kf432c16bbk232

or

2 x of https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hsWzK8/

or

2 x of https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sKXJ7P/team-t-create-classic-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-cl22-memory-
ttccd432g3200hc22dc01

or

a follow up question can 4 1s be manually tuned once in a system using memtest86-usb

on my two previous builds one has 64gbs va 2 x 32gb kits an 2nd va 4 x 16gb sticks without issue

tho it could just be lucky roll of the dice

Stick with the Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory if you can. Yes, they’re a little more expensive, but noticeable quicker (CL16) than the Crucial or Teamgroup (CL22) you offered as alternatives.

1 Like

ok thanks do you think ill have any issues with running 4 of them

follow up question on this mobo running 4 x 16gb sticks is having 1.2v sticks or 1.4 better

as it seems finding 1.2v available at memoryc.com or amazon is near impossible but 1.35 to 1.4 is

an for image an video editing at 10000px by 8000px at 200dpi an gaming at 1080p at 100 plus fps how much of a performance diff does cl 16 to cl22 have ?

All JEDEC spec’ed RAM limited to 1.2V will run at lower speeds. Once you are looking at faster RAM, the faster timings require support of extended XMP profiles. These typically come with higher voltage requirements. 1.35V to 1.4V is normal.
The motherboard you selected advertises support for memory speeds up to 4733MT/s. The RAM you selected is unlikely to cause issues.
You will need to enable support for XML profiles in the UEFI Bios

1 Like

thanks for that

So you’ve specced out a lot in advance there, but I’d say the motherboard you’ve chosen is a bit on the cheap side for the budget you are aiming for. It’s fine, but I’d go up $20 to the MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi, you add wireless which is AWESOME and it has better power delivery chips in case you want to put in a 5950X or something in the future.

Second, 2x32 GB of RAM beats 4x16 GB at the same CAS latency. This also leaves room to add another 64 GB, should you want it later down the line. DDR4 pricing will only go up in the future though since all the new, shiny stuff moves to DDR5 this year…

Third, why three harddrives? I strongly recommend ignoring PCIe 4.0 right now unless you absolutely positively must have the best money can buy. PCIe 3.0 is fast enough that you won’t notice much difference, especially on the boot drive. SATA drives should only be used for bulk storage these days, and you really only need cache on your system drive.

Fourth, ditch the extra fans for now. The case comes with three RGB fans, if you don’t like RGB you can always disconnect the RGB header. If noise does become a problem, then you can invest in extra fans - don’t assume it will from the start, though.

Similarly, the 5600X does come with an adequate cooler so it’s also something I would add. AIOs are nice but a good (120mm or 140mm) Noctua or Be Quiet! cooler would more than get the job done, for half the price.

PSU, 850W is overkill for this system, but if you plan to use it for multiple systems it isn’t a bad idea. For the record, 5600X draws ~80W and the 6700 XT can spike towards 330W. Rest of the system is about 50W. This means ~450-500W maximum power draw which would make a 550W adequate, 650W leaves some headroom and 850W leaves massive headroom. If all you plan to do is make a few minor mods (MOAR RAM sticks, more storage), 650W should be plenty,

So, gutting and ripping some stuff, here is a revised build with a cheaper but still silent cooler, 3 TB of storage (instead of 3.5), a slightly better motherboard and ditched fans for ~$400 less:

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 500 series boards, will have Zen 2 support, without any questioning
Zen 3 support is either native [associating to build revision(s)], or require BIOS bump
Read up on your mainboard and revision, if support is native or get a thumbdrive set

thanks to all for the advice

ill be revising as needed based on your input

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.