Advice for a pFSense mini-PC?

How many AM1 CPUs support AES-NI? So far none that I can find.

Are they not? I thought they would.
Let me check.

All AMD CPUs since 2011 have supported AES-NI.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just found it in an Anandtech article. Totally does.

Now I remember that that was the reason why I put my AM1 system up as a router in the first place.

1 Like

This AES-NI page seems to point to an issue. Seems to say that AMD Geode chips are AES-NI Driver mode. Not hardware but software.

The Athlon 5350 takes the majority of the integer based operations, such as Cinebench and FastStone, as well as the TrueCrypt benchmark due to its included AES-NI hardware acceleration.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8067/amd-am1-kabini-part-2-athlon-53505150-and-sempron-38502650-tested/11

Also over here:

1 Like

well then I would need to find a AM1 board/chip/box and DC power supply setup

I could see something like this working:

The thing I wonder about is bottlenecking with the Trunking and such.

Yes you will bottleneck, and you have gigabit internet (like me, high five gigabit bro!) so that would be a real bummer. And like I said upthread, while it does technically work, it would make me really nervous physically exposing my LAN to the internet, even if it’s logically segmented away.

1 Like

And I wouldnt bottleneck on an AM1?

Just don’t run a single NIC system as a router.

how would the AM1 compare to a more modern chip though? Especially when pushing VPN, Stateful packet filter, BufferBloat Mitigation etc?

Worse. That is how tech is. The new stuff is better. Duh.

well obviously. Im referring to build costs. I want to use Newegg as I have a store card and need to rebuild my credit score after having hits for looking at getting a home loan and refinancing my car. My score dropped like 20 points from those hard inquiries.

Well that’s new, isn’t it?

alright wiseass

The dual core Pentium is also half the cost of the i3 and supports aes ni and ecc but not on the h310 just FYI. It’s ht. I3 is 4 true quadcore tho. The wacky high clock speed works well in networking applications.

Always a pleasure.

Look, if that is one of the limitations then that should have been communicated way earlier. Certainly when suggestions for used stuff where coming up. If you want help, try not to waste people’s time. And I’m not even snarky here. If the options are limited, say that upfront. It will help everyone to help you.

I’d be pretty skeptical that an AM1, Pentium, or Celeron based system would be able to handle doing all the things you want your router to do. The AM1 maybe.

Best bet might be to do the Zotac mini system from the OP, but choose the i3 or i5 version. Price jumps up quite a bit, but for what you want to do the extra power is needed.

Mother f*&# &##$%!! Maybe that is why my J1900 crap the bed in less than a year? Wasn’t too upset because I wanted to upgrade to an AES-NI chip, but now I’m on a Celeron 3865U, does that still fall into the atom issue? That J1900 was a beast while I lasted though lolz.

This is what I got OP (had to provide my own storage and RAM),

The Celeron 3865U seems to be doing just fine running OpenVPN (VPN on my phone to look at my IP cams, smb access on my old phone, laptop access when traveling), Snort IDS on WAN, IPS on DMZ, a few VLANs, about to play with tagging, PFBlockerNG, a few other packages like softflowd for a splunk project and ntopng. Also sending log and snort barnyard syslog to a Splunk server. CPU doesn’t seem to break a sweat load wise, but it does seem to run hot (55c).

1 Like

buy a refurb laptop with a core isomething in it. pick up a ethernet card for the expansion slot. i would use intel ones if possible. a true 4 core would be best, but a u series (dual core) should work fine.

you now have a router with a screen and a battery backup. anything sandy bridge or newer will be fine.

my pfsense router is a g4400T pentium. it works well even with openvpn going. cpu usage rarely exceeds 15%.