Advice about NVME SSD Samsung PM963 960GB

Hi, its my first time posting here and I’m looking for some advice, i have the opportunity to pick up what looks to be second hand Samsung PM963 960GB m.2 SSD for 170 euro, including tax with a 1 year warranty. From what i can find out its an enterprise grade drive. i have no experience with nvme drives at all, but im planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 2600x and Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING pretty soon, quicker if the drive is a good deal. I cant seem to see any reason why the drive wouldn’t work. so this is mainly a sanity check, any help our advice would be appreciated.

The PM963 is the cheaper variant of the SM963 if you want to see it like me. I think it’s a good deal for 170€. Just keep in mind that it’s 110mm long and therefore a little longer than standard M.2 SSDs. Make sure it fits in your system.

1 Like

Well I own the Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD and it’s epic, instant, even with a bit of ageing, my monitor takes longer to turn on than what it takes for my to be able to get into the OS. I can only imagine that the PM963 would be amazing!

But as @Tytan64 said, make sure your system is compatible with the length of the PM963, if all is well and you have the money, then I wouldn’t think twice! :wink:

2 Likes

@Tytan64 @Argon Thanks guys, i was thinking it was a good deal. I’ll double check that it will fit with the motherboard I’m looking to get. I think ill buy the system next week. :smiley: thanks again.

2 Likes

No problem at all, it’s a pleasure, talking about hardware is basically my cocaine, I can’t get enough of it! :joy:

Keep in mind that this warranty is not for consumers. This is an OEM drive, you will get no support and no warranty from the manufacturer.

Other then that, 170€ sounds way too cheap for that drive. Somethings smells fishy in here.

Not really, just an OEM drive.

Not a good board (fine for that CPU, but overprized), but aside from that you said a “second” of those drives. That board only has one full bandwidth PCIe M.2 slot, the second one is PCIe 2.0 x4.

@mihawk90 Thanks for the info, that was a typo on my part, i was meant to say second hand, aside from that what x470 board on the cheaper side would you recommend?

Depends what you need, but at the same price point I’d be looking at the high end X370 boards. They are similar in price, but sometimes even have more features then the low end X470 boards.
If you’re looking at Gigabyte, the Gaming 5 and K7 are at the same price point as the Ultra Gaming and has one of the best VRMs of the X370 lineup. The only things above that were the Crosshair VI and the Taichi/Fatality boards.
And you don’t really miss out on anything. The only thing would be precision boost overdrive or whatever it’s called and that’s not even on the X470 boards yet AFAIK. And theoretically that could even be patched on the X370 UEFI.

So, yeah. Don’t just look at X470 IMO.

1 Like