Advice about a decision between two upgrade options

So, I’m in a position of getting a free hardware upgrade (brother getting rid of stuff) but I need to make a choice between two options:

1. Ryzen 1700+msi X370 carbon pro
  2. Intel 8600k+Asus b360k
    Both options are paired with 16gb of 2400mhz memory.

From what I could gather, for gaming the latter would be the better option, but seeing as I’m using a 1440p monitor I’m not sure there would be much of a difference (also I don’t game that often). I also code but I wonder what use case I would have that would utilize the higher core count (I do dabble in 3d modeling and dsp stuff from time to time so maybe that? )

For what it’s worth, right now I’m using a 6600k with 1 stick of 8gb 2133mhz memory.

1 Like

I would personally go with the the 8600k. I ran a 1600x and it’s a good processor but the first gen just wasn’t there in terms of performance. 1700 would be good for a NAS/server build but not the best for main desktop between the two choices given.

1 Like

I have no experience with either of those CPUs but to me if I remember correctly, the 1st gen Ryzen chips had some teething issues.
Unless you really need to utilize those extra cores in a time saving workload scenario I personally would pick the Intel configuration.

It kinda depends on the gpu you have.
Since your main focus seems to be gaming at 1440p,
the intel 8600k is going to perform better in certain games.
However that only is really a thing ¨if¨ your gpu is also capable enough.
And of course which particular games you play.

I mean if you are getting gpu limited at 1440p due to the gpu’s capabilities,
in the games you like to play.
Then the cpu isn’t really going to matter that much in most cases.

1 Like

Yeah, which GPU?

For occasional gaming use unless you have a relatively high end GPU and run in low res either CPU will be fine.

For non-gaming use the 1700s 8 cores will be better i suspect.

2 Likes

Currently I have a GTX 970, so I would imagine that it’s a bottleneck at 1440P. That being said, I might have misrepresented my situation here. I’m mostly an occasional gamer and most titles that I play aren’t triple A (e.g. Killing Floor 2, Divinity Original Sin 2).
Also, I wonder which choice here would grant me the better upgrade path later on?

to break this down:

that intel CPU is about 20% faster in SINGLE threaded APPS. but uses about 20% more energy. this would only be noticeable at the extreme edge of AAA gaming.

so for day to day use, more CORES, more energy efficiency, the 1700 is the better choice.

NOTE: the ryzen 1700 rig would benefit noticeably from faster RAM as a future upgrade.

1 Like

at 1440p the 8600k will be about 10% faster at stock, just allowing boosting.
overclocked in gaming that gap grows. not much but still more.

if your doing anything other than gaming that needs the cores the 1700 will do the job about 30% quicker at full load, just because it has more physical cores.

so really its up to you. if its gonna be for gaming and not gaming and streaming, then 8600k overclocked will do the job.

your gonna explore linux and vm’s, do productivity i would suggest the 1700.

and while above is rite faster ram will help, if it works. the 1700 was particularly flaky above 2933 and was hit and miss at anything over 2133.
so unless your planning on adding higher capacity’s above double* of what you have. just leave the 2400.

*rather than swapping the 16 gigs for a faster set of 16gig.

A 1700x will game just fine, for the rare times that’s a thing. For the majority of not gaming time, it will be superior and has an upgrade path.

1 Like

not saying it wont, :wink:
im just saying the 8600k will game better for the most part if gaming is all that it will be doing…
of course if you want more headroom for other workloads on top the higher cores will come into effect on the 1700 and make a much bigger difference in performance.

Yeah I was just saying the OP established in the very first post that he/she games infrequently. Hence worrying about gaming performance is… not really that important.

Both will handle casual or even high end gaming with the exception that high end GPU plus low res = intel better. Which is a contrived and unrealistic metric in any case imho. Even if you do game.

1 Like

I think for the better motherboard I would go with the AMD here. Can always upgrade the CPU to a 2000 series or maybe even 3000 series later as well. Since it’s all free you could also just take the RAM and stick to your current system if not happy.
The 1700 is not a bad CPU either, especially if gaming is not really your thing. It might just be 2 more cores but it’s 10 more threads. :slight_smile:

I think that considering all aspects:

• Better upgrade path for the ryzen motherboard
  • I don’t game as often these days, and when I do it’s mostly games that aren’t computationally intensive
  • I can make use of the 1700’s threading advantage (programming, playing around with linux vms, doing some stuff in DAWs and 3D modeling software)

The ryzen makes more sense for me. If I can get a good deal on a used 2/3000’s CPU later on even more so.

1 Like

It seems obvious at times for the intel platform, solely for the stability reasoning and the lack luster launch of ryzen. Having said that: the Ryzen platform is superior based on chipset alone and 3 further generations of potential upgrade path going forward. The intel b360 chipset artificially cripples that 8600K cpu to a mere 2666mhz memory speed, whilst the ryzen can be upgraded to Zen2+ (yes, remember the r7_3800XT chips) and MSI has released a Win11 uefi enabling bios. Granted the Asus b360 has released a similar Win11 update and has potential to support use of i7_9000 series cpu’s however, that chipset nullifies all gains towards that endevour. Good luck, hope you have a good monitor to pair it with.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.