Adventures in 5600XT Passthrough

Hey, I’ve been attempting to passthrough an MSI RX5600 XT GPU in Proxmox to a Windows 10 2004 Guest, and I am so close I can taste it. However, I’ve got a weird issue I wanna see if anyone else has experience with.

So I’m currently using Proxmox 6.2 with a custom kernel that has gnif’s most recent Navi Reset patch. And it works fairly well! I can reboot my VM with a GPU assigned to it 100 times and it has no problems booting up. However, once the driver is installed, stuff gets weird.

The GPU will act fine on the first boot with the driver installed. No real issues at all that I’ve noticed. However, on the second boot, in device manager the GPU has a yellow triangle, and it screams about an error 43 (encountered a problem, generic nonsense). At first I was thinking this was a Navi Reset bug, but if I disable and re-enable in device manager, it works fine. It also works fine if I reboot the VM again.

So it seems like there is some other issue to me (driver?). I know I can write a powershell script to just see if its in an error state and disable+reenable it if it is, but I wanted to see if anyone else had seen this before, or had any idea what it might be. I am at a total loss here.

Also, if the driver is not installled but the exe to install it is run, it doesn’t seem to matter what number boot it is, the GPU is recognized.

did you modified your grub config?

Use video=efifb:off in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT instead of video=vesafb:off,efifb:off

• video parameter in grub config:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt nofb nomodeset video=vesafb:off,efifb:off"

Solution:

• use only video=efifb:off :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt nofb nomodeset video=efifb:off"

i copied this from reddit and used the same solution a while ago :smiley:

Hey, any update on your problem? I’m kinda having the same issue with my 5600 XT.