AdoredTV vs Hardware Unboxed: Round 2

He stuck a dildo on his forehead during livestream, I'm not sure about maturity, but definitely humor.

3 Likes

Most benchmarks are pointless.

2 Likes

My stomach still hurts when I think about that. I was laughing so hard at that.

Kyle's got humor, i like that. Just not when it's used in the manner he demonstrated here trying to fit a wraith cooler on a fm2 board

Yes, you'd want Frame Time analysis. Average FPS is pretty much useless for "how it plays". Minimum FPS is similarly an almost useless data point. Frame Time analysis isn't even more work witth he tools we have today. GN made som interesting examples of Frame Times coming into play in their video on Mass Effect: Andromeda GPU Benchmark & Frametimes. How the first pass especially on AMD had some really noticeable spikes in frame time, something you really would notice while playing. A spike that goes away pretty fast though, so eschews the bench numbers if included.

Yeah. i think Jim has a point in that first video. But what he uses to reinforce his argument was weird and strange. Find some outlier of a bench with fussy methodology? Come on. I haven't watched this new video yet, might get to it after work today.

And how large part was the number of users of 1080p and lower again? 95%? More? There is a very good argument for not testing at 4K at all actually. Maybe test at 1440p, but it is a kinda small part of gamers that game at that res too. If we're talking about resolution that people actually game at. I have a 4K screen. Very little gaming done at that res, as plenty of games have problems there. Testing only at 1080p would be fine actually, maybe have some numbers at 1440p. 4K? Not really interesting is it as almost nobody games at this res. It gets "academic" doesn't it? I bet there are many times the number of gamers playing at 720p compared to the number that use 4K.

2 Likes

I've watched, or rather listened to the new video while biking to work. I must say that I like this one a lot more. The previous one was a bit too fanboy trolling for my taste. I still think he has a point worth looking into. If he's right other people should be able to reach the same conclusion.

I try to be sceptical, andā€‹ I'm interested in some frame-time analysis of the old FX in "modern" games as Jim puts it. Not at all convinced that it measures up, but I'm interested to investigate.

1 Like

Sure, if you need more numbers in your life, frame times are a better way to go than fps.
I'm fine with someone plain and simply telling me how a game plays.

Where the hell did this topic derailed. He just claimed that low res benchmarks are not showing how the cpu will performe in the future to low res benchmarks are off no use. I admit that i called my threat AdoredTV - Low resolution benchmarks are worthless but clearly wrote for the future of the Chip.

Yep. First person that comes to mind here is Salazar Studio (renamed from Science Studio). Got into an argument with this knucklehead over the the benefits of buying an i7 vs an i5 for gaming purposes.

I was always of the opinion that the gaming experience/cost is much more than just FPS, even for competitive gaming. Sure, if you want to future-proof your machine, spend all the money on the the system that will give you the most FPS and overclock it till it screams. If I'm budget-limited (and 90% of people are, otherwise there would be no need for benchmarks, everybody would just be buying only the most expensive stuff), I'd rather buy the cheaper solution that has (heaven forbid) 60 FPS instead of 80, and invest more money into a more eye-pleasing monitor, or more comfortable mouse, or better chair. Because your back is worth the 10-15 FPS, you just don't know it yet. The older folks here know what I'm talking about. Or more comfortable headphones, or speakers, there's literally 10 other things that can enhance your gaming experience if only you weren't so intent on playing all of the newest AAA games 3 years into the future at 120 FPS. But no, gotta have all the polys on Ultra with 10xAA...

All this talk about 5-10% performance increase is a sales pitch... Just like this:

It's like tech youtubers are heading toward infomercial-grade content...

5 Likes

Thats exactlly where things go wrong here.
Nobody can look into the future, so canĀ“t AdoreTV.
People buy hardware based on how it performs today, not based on how it "might" perform in 2 years.
I mean there is no such thing as future proofing, so as far as iĀ“m concerned,
their statements make no sense what so ever.

Low res benchmarks are still relevent today, if you want to do proper cpu performance testing in gaming.
Then you should do low res testing like 1080p, to get raw cpu performance data and frame time data.
Never the less, like i said, in my opinion to do proper benchmarks, you should do testings at the most commonly used resolutions.
Which are 1080p, 1440p and to some extend 4K.
That way you get a fair image of how certain hardware will perform in certain games and gaming scenarioĀ“s today.
Gamers Nexus did a really nice video on this, including frame times.

2 Likes

It's not impossible to future proof. Getting a intel 6core is fairly future proofed. Or a Ryzen 1700 for that matter. Getting DDR4 early in 2014 with x99 you have future proofed it until ddr5 comes out. Meaning 4 to 7 years. But more threads and faster ram is a way to future proof it. But the biggest thing is the motherboard. Like Ryzen we know AMD said the AM4 socket would be compatible for approximately 4 years before being obsolete. I understand what you are saying. In my opinion the least future proofed product are gpus. Anyways I got off topic from what you awere talking about.

1080p gaming improves with faster memory on Ryzen significantly to the point it almost goes even in some games compared to the 7700k. In some cases it out performs it with 3000 mhz ram. I do agree that 1080p gaming is a good benchmark for future performance, because as steam shows 1080p gaming is still the hotseat for gamers.I personally gave up gaming at 4k for 1080p at 140hz.

After reading that comment adored made I have no respect for this guy anymore. What a joke. He needs to get over himself.

Any links?

I sort-of like AdoredTV's videos and I didn't mind him using other people's benchmarks since I was already interested in the "2500k vs. FX 8350" change over time.

Not really sure why this stuff blew up but I like Adored to be honest. A bit of an off hand comment about Bitwit being a dimwit instead is maybe ill advised but the easy pun and fact that Kyle made some insulting vaguely racist comments makes me think not the worst thing he could have said.

Let it all go and get back to tech I say. (The Winchester for a pint until this whole thing blows over)

6 Likes
4 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Here's his follow up video. Interesting to see how big a difference AMD drivers make compared to Nvidia's.

2 Likes

it seems like Wendell et all are the only people trying to be adults. though at the end of the day, i'm going to buy whatever it is i feel like buying at the time. i don't have time for personal jabs and politics. we get enough of that already.

5 Likes

It seems like Jim at AdoredTV is stirring things up again.
link from other thread on this forum: Testing ryzen with Amd vs Nvidia GPU, DX11 vs DX12