AdoredTV - Low resolution benchmarks are worthless

The gaming industry seems very different now from the time the FX was the latest CPU don't you think?

We have a completely different topography today, and let's be honest AMD are only just behind Intels very highest performing gaming CPU's.

Unless, I'm mistaken current gen consoles today still use weak cores, so weak that a single core of an i5 can probably do 3 Jaguar core work loads. That's why Devs on PC aren't pushing for more cores for the longest time, and probably won't for the next 5 years, until PS5 and the next Xbox keep up.

But they are still working with 8 cores. Developers will be spreading the tasks over those cores.

That's because they're weak, they need all the cores they can get. People hoped the same thing for 8core FX, that never amounted to anything.

That was a long time ago and at time that DX11 was as far as Microsoft wanted to take the PC. A lot has changed. Namely the console adopting PC hardware and DX12, Vulcan and Mantle coming along.

How much did Vulkan and DX12 save FX 8350 from i5 and 4c i7 today?

The problem with the FX was the configuration of the processor.

Well Kevin from Tech showdown did a compairisson between a 6900K and 1800X at the same clock speeds.
And in the games he tested, the Broadwell-E was still beating it in pretty much any game he tested,
So yeah people could claim that low res benches dont mean much.
But i disagree on that, because they certainlly tell a story here.
Ryzen R7 series are great for productivity, but for gaming not really that mindblowing.

2 Likes

And the Ryzen, configuration problem too I bet, same song same dance.

The performance from Ryzen is sublime. It's hard to believe AMD pulled off making a CPU this good and for this kind of price.

AMD really needs to get the clockspeeds up for the R5 series.
Those might be exally more interesting for gamers.

1 Like

Do me a favour and PLAY Horizon Dawn Zero... i know its bizarre and tangential and doesn't really prove anything but those crappy jaquar cores and that 'underpowered' 7870 (it's nearest desktop equivalent) are managing to pump out one of the best looking games at 1080p that I have ever played... true its only 30fps but I still think its an excellent achievement for the hardware and a solid example of what console like software optimizations via proper use of newer api's could give us on pc's.

Guerrilla Games and Naughty Dog make it look like other devs aren't even trying... especially pc ones.

Also... until it proves itself otherwise dx12 is dead to me.. so far every 'bolt on' dx12 release has been a major disappointment.

Vulcan not so much as it has its 'halo' golden boy product in doom.. which shows a lot of potential for workload optimization but sadly that is still only ONE good example.

The only thing making quad cores and up redundant for gaming usage is crap api, the fact that doom can run at 60 fps on ultra when the gpu is powered by a q6600 shouldnt be lost on anyone.

Seems Vulcan is used very effectively for CPU tasks.

Scales very well over 16 threads, never mind 8.

If you ask me Vulkan looks EPIC because the right people picked it up Id software. If it wasn't for them we would have The talos principle the next Vulkan game in the line. It's worse than dx11 on that game "Sorry my Croatian friends". So DOOM basically got a Console like optimisations of such proportions that 50 dollar GPUs can run the game. It could have been DX12 but we know Id didn't change much still singing the open source song.

You're contradicting yourself. You're applauding the capability of it's jaguar cores with Horizon Dawn yet claim DX12 is dead, when the very API PS4 is using is the very derivative of DX12 and Mantle.

He's saying no one has done a proper implementation of DX12 yet. It is a strange way to setup a standard to be fair. DX12_*

1 Like

Not contradicting anything

just quick to defend tools being wielded by crap workmen and I am having a hard time believing that everyone using dx12 is a bad workman.

A large part of that could be lack of middleware but that only explains so much.

I do concede that vulcan may have got 'lucky' with doom in ID's hands as again... tools in the hand of a master kind of thing.

Also, not appluading the jaguar cores at all, I know they are weaksauce.. I just get depressed at how badly the supercomputers that we have on our desks (which most of us have in comparison to a ps4) are being underutilized.

If something like Horizon Zero Dawn can be done on the technological equivalent of a q6600 (cpu muscle wise.. probably less in fact) and a 7870 then most devs have got no excuse for the crap released these days.

2 Likes

That's because there's never been a real incentive for PC developers for the longest time because of the more powerful hardware on hand for PC. There's been countless PC builds the mimic the price of $400-500 current gen console and it performs well above 30fps in the multiplat games, why spend all that time and money learning/coding/optimize for a new API when you have powerful hardware to run it on? What we need is a killer app to really justify it, maybe, StarCitizen, perhaps when it releases, or when pigs fly.

The 470 (which is what the PS4 Pro has I believe) upsampling to 4k is impressive and is something I think the PC can benefit from in terms of an alternative Anti-aliasing technique. The PS4 Pro constantly renders and upsamples 1080/1440p source to 2140p, so it always looks crisp as fuck on a 1080p tv. This is something I'd like to see on a driver level for GPUs.

Well the incentive now is stay ahead of the consoles or PC gaming will be in trouble. Developers need to make use of the available hardware and optimise for as big a market as possible. Seem's most developers are already doing this.