Return to Level1Techs.com

ADATA SX8200 w/Pop!_OS 19.04

The recent SX8200 review was well-timed for me, so went ahead with the 1tb model. Installed into XPS 9750 and, independently from L1, threw Pop!_OS 19.04 on it.

It does not currently work. Goes to suspend and NVMe does not come back up - briefly showing APST error 19 and RW failures after that. Recommended kernel parameters nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us set to 0 and high like 8000 APST values change nothing.

It otherwise seems to function correctly. I post it in the SSD category as from Googling it seems to be a distro-agnostic hardware-specific type of problem, even after some fixes in 4.11 kernel.

Anyone else knows how to deal with suspending SX8200?

0 Likes

useful?
https://github.com/jakeday/linux-surface/issues/123 I have an xps 2-in-1 and can test. Suspsend on a TR desktop was working fine witht he 8200, though. I didn’t test that extensively but will be surprised if its problematic on my machine.

0 Likes

Thank you - this is definitely worth to try. Will check if hibernate.sh / pre stage is good one on this distro for

echo 0 > "/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:02:00.0/d3cold_allowed" # for SB Performance Base nvme for s2idle suspend

At a glance the symptom is different - my system fails to wake SX8200 from the first cycle, But that may be the hardware specifics.

Will also file a ticket tomorrow with ADATA - low expectations, but just in case.

0 Likes

It is somewhere else in Pop!_OS, will check tomorrow:

$ sudo find / -depth -xdev -type f -name hibernate.sh 2>/dev/null
[sudo] password for vlad:
$ 
0 Likes

any follow up here? working now? thanks

0 Likes

The PCI setting to the proper device file did not solve the NVMe wake up issue. Contacting ADATA proven fruitless, as they only suggested to RMA and replace - which very likely would end up with the same behavior. As I was still within the return window, I returned the SX8200 to Amazon and instead got the 970 Pro. Yes, twice as expensive, but worked flawlessly off the bat and did not require me to spend a week troubleshooting. I considered it a better value.

1 Like