Adapters, or similar to get full 120hz from LG C9 on a PC?

Hey I’m going to be getting the LG C9 and will be replacing my current 1080p 144hz monitors with, though I’m a little irked at the fact that nobody is putting hdmi 2.1 outputs on video cards yet as that’s the only thing holding the TV back from 120hz.

My first assumption was that maybe someone has created a dp 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 adapter/converter to solve this issue, but I’m not seeing that anywhere. Could a KVM or similar passthrough work to solve this issue, or will I be stuck waiting for a card with a 2.1 output before I can fully utilize the panel at 4k?
Also anyone have any guess at when AMD or nvidia will put 2.1 on their cards, or if intel’s XE cards would?

And just to add for context, I honestly barely see a difference in 60-144 in games but I hate the choppy 60hz cursor and just everything in general with the out of game experience with 60hz compared to higher refreshrate so that’s why it matters to me, and BFGD are just stupidly overpriced considering you’re effectively paying for a g-sync drm module and “cool” gamer styling, along with color calibration.

120hz 4k OLED on a pc… the stuff dreams are made of.

1 Like

Question is if that screen is actually capable of handling 120Hz signals or if it’s just some kind of processing trickery.

LG C9 has Native 120hz display capabilities based on multiple youtube reviews, and RTings.com testing. Afaik not motion interpolation.

You’ll need something like what Zisworks did with some Seiki TVs to get 4K 120hz:

http://www.zisworks.com/

Ultimately, it will require replacing the mainboard of the TV with a Zisworks FPGA.

1 Like

ah thanks, cool to see that guy is still doing his thing well after that LTT vid forever ago. I’ll probably just be getting whatever the next best value card with 2.1 is whenever that comes out lol. pretty sad a console will have 2.1 outputs before PC components will even with it not being anywhere close to being able to utilize it.

All Turing cards currently have 2.1 support as recently as September. But Navi cards either don’t have it enabled, or requires new silicon.

Realtek created a chip called the RTD2173, but nobody’s using it in a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 converter yet.

DP 1.4 doesn’t have enough bandwidth for HDR 4K 120Hz too. Zisworks worked around that with 2 DisplayPort cables with 2 halves sent to the monitor and stitched together.

1 Like

ahhhh, do you think there’d be any trickery that could be done to just get a cheap turing card shooting display out and the performance getting ran from my 5700xt? I doubt it but not sure. And that realtek chip is interesting to hear about, is there any way I could try and get one and make my own converter, or is that not really possible?

HDMI licensing means you can’t just make your own adapter.

You could try the same trick to get Freesync working on Nvidia before Nvidia made it official. Putting your output on the 1660 and then selecting the 5700 XT as the “high performance” GPU. (may require modifying drivers)

While in theory possible, the data rate makes it very difficult.

Shouldnt that be possible with DSC (a compression that is said to be visually transparent)?

After more than a decade I was eyeing a 2019 LG TV with HDMI 2.1, too.

While I don’t plan to immediately play games on it, it would be nice to have at least the option to go UHD/HDR/120 Hz with FreeSync 2 (?).

And since NVIDIA are dicks when it comes to the use of their GPUs in VMs (even a Pascal Quadro recently threw an error 43) I got a Rsdeon Pro WX 4100 (Polaris with DP 1.4), hoping to be able to at least use it for UHD content (also homemade) up to 120 fps if there is going to be a DP 1.4-to-HDMI 2.1 adapter sometime in the hopefully near future.

I normally game on my QLED at 4K 60 w/ my 2080Ti but for games like Control Remedy w/ RTX On it required me to lower the res to 1440p to get 60fps. During that play through I was totally content playing at 1440p60.

With that said the LG C9 will still be a great gaming display to game on at 1440p 120fps w/ HDR with High to Ultra Settings. Even with the current 2080 Ti very few games can actually play above 80 fps with High/Ultra settings.

Sure you could lower settings to medium or low and maybe get 100-120fps but then what’s the point? Give 1440p 120fps a try. Oh and almost forgot use the Nvidia Filter system to add some sharpening. One other thing if the game supports DLSS, the new DLSS 2.0 is near identical to 4K resolution.

Tim over at Hard Shills Unboxed did a YT video on it. Obviously the adapter would be nice but very few games still won’t be able to come close to 120 fps @ 4K, well some like Hearthstone, and LoL but certainly not games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, something with a fully rendered 3D world.

The Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti will need to bring HDMI 2.1 and at least 35% performance increase to meet that but then we are probably looking at prices of $2000 for a graphics card. Again try 1440p 120 fps, lol. Thats a HUGE price tag for a marginal difference in image quality.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.