Den-Fi's Tech-ish Blog

Probably not.
F@H eats every available compute resource as is.

Even with the bridge, it still uses each card individually. Leaving SLI on actually used to cause problems in my main rig, but it doesn’t seem to be the case in the last year or so.

I wonder if its an optimization thing. I don’t know much about high performance computing but watching Nvidia’s DGX-2 system with that 16 V100 Nvlink had me feeling wanting it just for the heck of it.

Just about done. Waiting on some 80mm be quiet exhaust fans.

The build so far:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core
Noctua NH-U12A + 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax
ASUS AMD AM4 PRO WS X570-ACE ATX Workstation Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3600
2x ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2080
Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB Gen4 PCIe X4 NVMe M.2 SSD
Samsung SSD 960 PRO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
Corsair RM850x 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Modular Power
Rosewill RSV-R4100-4U Rackmount Server Case
CableMod C-Series RMi/RMx Basic Cable Kit

4 Likes

0G1A7632-Edit.thumb.jpg.5a44869cabfcb778944a6887f14e679e.jpg

Recycled a dust filter from a retired case to give this case more access to air.

5 Likes

And we have reached completion! Build Log: [Build Log] Matte Machine (4U Rackmount)

2 Likes

Bought this CaseLabs (R.I.P.) dual bay cover as a solution to my problem, but it arrived like 3 days too late.

3P7A7689.thumb.jpg.3daaf4d7f9cf87669b9f3345f5a7a947.jpg

I still prefer my mesh filter solution, but I’ll pop this in and see how it does.

1 Like

Got in some Zealio V2s. Pulling my navies out of my secondary board and giving them a go.

Used the Zealios for about 20 pages of a proposal. I thought the tactile bump would be enough to satisfy my need for feedback when typing really, really fast, but sadly it does not. I found myself looking down occasionally when I was not audibly certain of a key press. I do like the feel of Zealios, but cannot use them when I need to get serious. This was expected though, so they are in my secondary keyboard which I use in my lab. I have a more casual pace there so it’s much less impactful.

2 Likes

Was pretty awesome to have PowerColor reach out to me to help restart their social media presence! Maybe they’ll provide the hardware next time, lol.

6 Likes

Master 3:
That side scroll… man it is so much more improved. Position and size make it much more reachable.

I initially had issue with the brush sizing in photoshop, but adjusting the sensitivity of the side scroll has it right about where I want it vs sizing on the keyboard.

At first I found the softer ratchet mode more appealing, but I do find myself missing the louder feedback. Ah well. This is certainly not a big thing.

G Pro Wireless:
It’s deceptively larger than it looks. This is a good thing because the Final Mouse was a bit on the small side. The tracking is soooooo much more precise than the Master 3. Not to say I’d game with it, but the precision would be EXCELLENT for editing. Kind of wish I never made the connection mentally. But yeah, I’m glad I bought the final mouse, because I never understood flicking. Always had MX Masters. The G Pro could perhaps have another button or two, but it doesn’t make enough difference to go back to using an MX Master on my gamingish PC.

1 Like

ABBA has arrived for my board!
Time to do that instead of sleep.
Sigh.

* blasts dancing queen while updating *

1 Like

image.png.5ca7cf9a71dd2abf6531a72856713fac.png

Welp… ABBA on the 3900X has failed me.
Improvement in CB20 single core, but can’t get over 4.54 now.
It was 4.55 BEFORE ABBA.
Ah well. I wasn’t outraged before and I’m not outraged now.

PBO pushed it up a bit, which is a change from doing nothing before ABBA.

This keyboard is amusing.

So many people asked me why I didn’t wait for the 3950X…

0G1A7327.thumb.jpg.f9e0ca5c7e3ed31bf357059269fb4179.jpg

This… this is why…

image.png.907685e4a96468f4d3c84fb39987dd55.png

The primary market is basically like “3900X? Never heard of it…” and with the ridiculous binning you have to go through to be a 3950X, my hope of getting one any time soon after launch is not high. So my thought process was get the CPU you know you can get, then get the 3950X at some point.

0G1A8327-Edit.thumb.jpg.65a42a9e1ef73ca8db66f304a6d6a916.jpg

I wanted to do something nice for my GK64. I’ve grown to like it a lot more since it now houses $64 worth of Zealio V2 78Gs. The one thing I didn’t like from the start was the reddish blue tint on the set I bought. You’ve never seen the extent of it, because I always correct it in photos, but I hated it. Secondly, the caps were exxxxtra thin and hollowish, so I’d always hear a very jarring clink. Especially in the spacebar. The last straw was seeing someone’s new build with the exact same cap set. I know that that’s bound to happen, but it was enough to push me to replace it since I was ordering parts anyway. This new new set is thinner in profile (still cherry) while being a much more substantial cap. It also has really nice side printed legend specific to the GK64’s Fn keys. A nice bonus I didn’t realize when ordering.

0G1A8321.thumb.jpg.f3fb963c1b9f93fb32b150b8b85a4fc0.jpg

Rubber domes?! I thought we evolved from these?!

Heh. This is a case of really bad examples ruining the really good ones. A lot of people consider rubber domes to be inferior, but the Leopold FC980C as well as other Topre/Electro Capacitive variants from HHKB, Topre/Realforce prove this can be a delightful experience. The typing sound is often referred to as “thock.” The feel (at least w/ these 45G domes) is lighter than I usually like, but twice as tactile as my 85G Zealio V2s. It’s an interesting feel that makes me want to type a lot more than I normally would. Strange, yet addictive. I’ll note that the vastly different feel from MX style switches came off as unlikable to me for the first hour I used this board, but now… can’t get enough of it.

4 Likes

Actually I’d look at that and first thought would be hall switch or foam and foil.

I actually have a Wooting Two Lekker Edition coming.

2 Likes

ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo pretty

I get asked A LOT if I think smartphone cameras have gotten to the level of dSLR cameras and that’s a question I quickly answer NO to.

Sure, for your average consumer™, you get results that can look absolutely fantastic, but the use case is limited.

You’re probably not going to print it. It’ll get posted on social media and someone will glance at it and understand what was going on. Job done.

For me though, there are things I need to capture for my own gratification. I like complete control and having too much information.

These things are not granted when you’re using a smartphone. Smartphones make a lot of guesses and decisions to compensate for its sensor.

Sure, you can get programs like Camera+ to shoot “RAW” but it is far from the same.

Smoothing is probably the greatest sin a smartphone camera commits. Sharpening falls into second place. This is not something you mind too much with general photos, but macro is my bread and butter. A combination of over-smoothed and over-sharpened when it comes to macro is just plain painful to look at.

In the example I posted below, I used the iPhone 11 Max’s camera on full auto. (Both are editing in my usual style with Lightroom). It was given plenty of light to avoid over-smoothing from noise, but you can tell it still did it anyway. It also detrimentally sharpened the photo. This results in seeing the rough texture of the case in some spots (way rougher than it actually looks due to over-sharpening), but weirdly smooth for most of it. It looks “fine” but that is never what I’m after. At the end of the day I take photos for myself first, and everyone else later.

Smartphone cameras have come a LONG way. They really have. To do what they can do with limited space for both a sensor and a lens is amazing. They’ve brought a level of accessibility to photography that has opened the door for many. I appreciate that more people than ever eventually get dSLRs after seeing what is possible with their smartphone. It’s just like someone building their first custom PC after experiencing a pre-built. I love watching the technology grow and do think that dSLR tech can learn from smartphone tech. I am genuinely impressed with my phone in some instances, just not most. For me, I will always reach for my clunky dSLR. It feels better in the hand, I have the control I need, I have the detail I need, and I have access to ALL of the information from the sensor. I should also mention that I have the ability to light the photo the way I want to. I used a strobe for the dSLR photo bounced from the ceiling. For the iPhone photo I used LED light bounced from the ceiling.

That’s my stance. Smartphones are great, but they cannot replace dSLRs for my needs. Much in the same way some photographers don’t even think dSLRs can replace film.

IMG_0042-Edit.thumb.jpg.4dcfafd251fa5131211699ba7a28d6a3.jpg

iPhone 11 Pro Max, full auto, LED light bounced from the ceiling. Light is diffused again with a large 60" diffuser.

0G1A8679-Edit.thumb.jpg.88802b9bfb84b07a86a4ea372a08351f.jpg

Canon EOS R w/ 50mm f/1.2 L (1/160, f.2.2, ISO 400), Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT @ 1/8 power bounced from the ceiling. Light was not diffused a second time.

2 Likes