Accidentally plugged in Integrated Graphics

Plugging the DVI cable into the mobo out will not make the dGPU stop working. It just simply won't. If it isn't being recognized by Windows in the device manager, the fans aren't spinning up on boot, and the bios doesn't recognize it, then your mobo isn't giving the gpu power, the psu isn't getting the gpu power, or the gpu is dead. It could also be a problem with the pcie slot not getting data from the card or something. Try different slots, different cables from the psu, different mobo, different rig, do something to narrow down the possibilities.

1 Like

Whats the PSU and how old is it?

EVGA 500w. It's about 3 years old.

Never did.

Update: BIOS does not detect the graphics card. It says the slot is empty.

If you are out of options, try reflasing BIOS and clearing CMOS?

Then it is not getting power, not sending data, or dead.

I feel conflicted pressing the like button here, so I'm just posting to say that I agree with you. Based on what we've seen, it's most likely one of those three.

If you have a spare machine, try plugging it in there, or move the GPU to a different PCIe slot to test if the PCIe slot is bad. If you've got other PSU cables, try swapping them out, also try different ports on the PSU if it's modular.

If you do determine that the PSU is to blame, EVGA has excellent return and RMA policies.

But the PSU has been running for 3 years. Is it possible to still RMA?

Probably. The worst thing that happens is you call them, give them the serial number and they say "it's out of warranty, sorry"

EVGA has excellent support. They're really friendly and the most helpful people I've ever talked to. They are, far and away, the gold standard in customer support. They're also quick. Short phone queue lines and they do 2-3 day shipping for most things.

Reset cmos?

• shut down system.
  • disconnect it from the wall.
  • Take out the bios battery on the motherboard for e few minutes.
  • Put battery back in.
  • connect it to the wall again, connect monitor to the gpu.
  • Fire it up, and see it that works.
  • then go into the bios and set date and time etc again.
    And eventually other settings that you might have changed in the bios.

From Newegg review:

This review is from: MSI H81M-E34 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Pros: -Cheap

Cons: -Does not work with Windows 7
-Will not display anything coming out of PCI-E slot (tested GTX 465 and R9 280)

So GPU might be ok; bad news is your board could have borked itself

Looks like the card is dead. Test in another system if you can to confirm. Its probably worth contacting PNY to see if they will do an RMA, otherwise I hope you like your new paper weight.

If it is indeed dead, take it apart and check over the components, maybe its a single capacitor or resistor that is the issue. Someone handy with a soldering iron could maybe fix it.

Well i have to say cheap Msi boards arent really that great.
But of course "doesnt work with windows7" is nonsense.
Not sure why somebody would write that down.

Buyer probably didnt manually install chipset drivers from CD. I can say from experience that W7 isnt always successful at retrieving drivers for certain component arrangements(ran into that issue with my Z97 Classified; oddly led to intermittent USB3.0 drop-outs, and severely gimped transfer rate)