Access point's for home use?

I'm on the hunt for a wireless access point(s) because my house has a lot of wi-fi demanding devices.

The Ubiquiti UniFi AP I have heard is a great little unit. So if all fails I can buy that one.

I found a source for a used AdTran Bluesocket BSAP-1800N for cheaper and it offers 5Ghz on top of that. This brand is a bit obscure outside of the enterprise world so straight forward documentation is hard to come by.

My main concern is: can I simply hook these us to my existing network and manually configure them to my liking? The installation guide for the Bluesocket showed a "BlueSecure Controller" that I don't understand if I would need or not?

Otherwise I'd be open to suggestions on what I should get new, used ebay or what ever.

The unifi stuff doesn't need a controller. The control software is installed on a computer on the network but once it's configured doesn't need to run 24/7. I have the AC version. It's really easy to configure and i haven't had an issues with reliability. If you have multiple APs you can set up zero hand off so that devices can roam between APs with no interruption. Other enterprise APs can do this but require expensive controllers whereas the unifi APs can do it on the AP so you don't even need the control software running for it to work.

Well that's good to know. I was hoping to get away with some used stuff and save a bit, but the unifi may be what I need to go with.

Don't worry with the Unifi Pro or the AC model unless you really need it. You can snag an N Unifi on Amazon right now for $70, that's how I got mine.