About X299

I'm not going to say or add anything here, just watch the video and judge for yourself.

2 Likes

105 Degrees C is hot enough to boil water.

Seems like they could benefit from VRM water cooling lol

Man they cant just catch a break at all poor intel

It's really for the best though. AMD needs a bit of a bump in sales lol

AMD will be fine, they are going to crush the markets that make the real money.

Oh of course. I want to see them come out and have threadripper just be awesome in terms of performance and price. The more they make now the more money they will have to do R&D and release good products down the road.

And then Intel will have to spend more doing the same. Not to mention hopefully lowering prices lol

Wonder if intel will lower x299 prices depending on x399 results/prices.

Hmm interesting, i have to do readings on this myself.
But the problems isnt with the vrm implementation, but rather with the heatsink.
Still 105°C on an IR powerstage would be totally safe.
So for the higherend boards who use IR powerstages, there shouldnt be an issue.
But if his measurements are accurate, then those particular entry level boards are getting pretty warm.

Definitelly something i have to do some reading and research on myself.

Yeah deff more of a heatsink issue then a risk of components.(Main issue is the board is throttling when its hitting the safe temp, but that's all on when the manufactures sets that point)

Yeah it will of course also be depending on what types of mosfets / powerstages those cheaper boards use really.
But thats something i have to take a closer look at.

The most concerning part isn't the VRM's.

VRM's are rated for 125c most often enough.

What concerns me is the cable temperature of the 8Pin connector boards.

one of the comments suggests this may be due to his use of that superflower PSU -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BqAjC4ZCc&lc=z121c1gptofrcbnej22vxrxolpmfupblr .
Not that this is acceptable, of course, but it may be possible to work around it

The most concerning part isn't the VRM's.

VRM's are rated for 125c most often enough.

True, but he can't measure the temps of the VRM itself, so they may or may not be hitting 125C. Either way, he does observe throttling, which means that whether VRMs are at 125 or not, they are hot enough to trigger their own protection mechanisms. In other words: they may not catch fire, but they will certainly get in the way of overclockers.

The cable thing is, indeed, much worse (there is no safety mechanism there), although I'd expect boards with more than on 8-pin connector to be fine.

All in all, I think this reflects the problem of having an all-encompassing platform that is required to support every CPU in the 2066 lineup. I'm sure all these boards would be perfectly fine with Kaby Lake-X CPUs, but if you are going to restrict support to Kaby Lake X, you may as well get rid of all the extra DIMM slots, PCIe slots, etc, and while you're at it, just make a rebranded Z270 motherboard and call it a day. So, for Kaby Lake-X to (artificially?) be a X299 CPU, you must require all motherboards supporting it to be compatible with SKylake-X... at least on paper. And then we are talking about supporting a 4-core gaming CPU and an unlocked 18-core server CPU. Sure, they could just build €500 motherboards only, but then there's competition between motherboard manufacturers for the less wealthy buyers...

I guess these boards would still be fine for 6-core Skylake-X at stock clocks (and in many corporate environments overclocking won't happen anyway), and manufacturers need to cut costs to get that market segment. Still, I'm sure they could have cut costs elsewhere if it wasn't for the "full lineup support" requirement (6-core parts still don't support all 44 PCIe lanes).

The most painful thing about this is going to be that if those VRMs are throttling already on a 10c 4.7GHz OC, imagine how they (and PSUs) will handle 12, 14, 16 and 18c CPUs. Even if they're capable of highish clocks in theory, it won't matter, if the boards aren't up to it, and they probably had (next to) no way to tell, because the things don't exist yet. Socket AM3 VRMs (and PSU meltdowns due to crappy 12V plug designs), here we come. :stuck_out_tongue: