About to buy my first house

To avoid clutter in this thread…

@NetBandit @Levitance

Discuss here how you think dogs are people too.
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/doge-and-pony-show/124613

Or install a security system so you can watch burglars rob your home. Much better choice.

Quit being absurd. You’ve indicated that you have a frightful wife or whatever at home and the dog quells that fear. Fine. That’s your situation. But it’s not relevant to home ownership in general, which is what this thread is about.

1 Like

How is securing your home not relevant to the topic?

I’ll agree its not an easy button solution. Can you explain how a dog is less effective deterrent than an alarm?

Yeah. When I hear a dog barking, I think an asshole neighbor is neglecting their pet and allowing it to be a nuisance.
When I hear an alarm going off, I presume that some type of burglary might be in progress.
Further, a security system can be configured to monitor multiple types of data, and call for appropriate response.

This only means that particular dog is poorly trained. My dog barks when people come to the door, but she does not bark at passers-by, or other dogs. She doesn’t even approach them if she is in the back yard (unfenced) and they are passing on the sidewalk.

So then you should qualify your suggestion for getting a dog as get a dog with training.

Caring for pets is more complicated than food, water, and pick up poop (the turd thing being the thing that a lot of pet owners do a shit job at)

2 Likes

Your preference then as a neighbor not the homeowner, is you’d rather hear an alarm, indicating someone already broke into their home.

And my preference is a barking dog, making the burglar think your house is the better hit rather than mine.

I thought your dog didn’t bark at passers by? If so, why would it bark at a burglar?

Wholly agree, and edited my original post. I’m an advocate of obedience training.

And indicating that police have been notified.

Which is reactive, not proactive. The damage has been done, goods taken. Thieves don’t lollygag waiting 10min for the police to arrive. You take what’s in sight, check the bedroom closet for firearms and gtfo.

BTW OP keep your guns in a safe.

Guns not at hand should absolutely be kept in a safe.

There are good point to each side of the dog argument. There are good points to each side of the gun safe argument.

There is no acknowledgement of context and I believe that is were the break down is.

2 Likes

Having children changes the weapon situation.
Having space and time changes the dog situation.
It all depends and there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Take every variable into account.

If you have the time and space, I think a dog is worth it for the pleasure and company. No other reason really justifies owning one and it isn’t fair to the dog to own one just for security.

3 Likes

Having a dog keep you company at night while living by yourself is nice. She’s trained well and will bark and alert me in case someone comes onto my land. During the day she stays with my parents and they really appreciate having a dog there. She’s chased off some trespassers and possibly a hunter.

Things I can suggest moving into a first time house is any work that was done, check on it. I moved into a mid 70’s house where they redid the kitchen, poorly. Being young at the time I didn’t know about it and the sheetrock on the ceiling cracked. Countertops have popped up, and the cabinets were the cheapest crap.

Floor also loves water and will absorb it and puff up.

Most of this has been stated before, but after spending a decent amount of time in residential and a little commercial construction, I can’t state/suggest these things enough:

Tools/Misc Essentials:
  • Harbor Fright is cheap and works well for the average joe’s tool set
  • Corded > Cordless. I usually use Hilti tools, but a DeWalt/Milwaukee corded drill is more than enough (that is still probably overkill). I personally don’t like Ryobi, but they work alright for a homeowner.
  • Have a First Aid Kit (Something you never think you need until you really, really do)
  • A few LED flashlights & external batteries spread across the house for outages.
  • Have some form of self defense or a flashlight that is >2000 lumens
  • Spending the extra money on medium-tier outdoor tools is the best route imo. You don’t get upset if they end up breaking and they usually last 2-3x longer than the cheapest ones

Also, depending on the neighborhood, having a decent front yard, but not the best looking usually gets you a lot of +rep from the neighbors. They don’t get jealous over bullshit like the best yard and won’t get upset for your home being a “blight” to their silly HOA. I can’t state enough how important it is to be at least neutral with the neighbors.

This guy gets it.
I could have appended “unattended guns”. Didn’t think I needed to but here we are.

I’m in my 20’s and single. I should not have a dog. It would however help me guard my home. And I love dogs. And while I could provide a better life for a dog then living in a cage I don’t think I could provide the life I would like for a little fur friend.

4 Likes

I agree if you don’t have children in your home a gun safe is not needed. If you do have children however you should have a safe because they are not the ones who are going to crack it! I totally pro gun, but we should also protect those who are not as capable as us.