About ethernet ports

hello every one …

I watched that level1 video about pfsense and I just thought I want to make my own router based on linux …

but then I was searching for hardware on amazon , when a question just blinked in my mind when I saw this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSF8UD6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00KSF8UD6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1713835751726239774&pf_rd_r=C87XG3XPH6XQ7ACCWTS3&pd_rd_wg=nEgWM&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=dojXc&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=b949dacf-6146-11e8-a0ef-4185f1550c90

that’s a link to hardware that has 6 ehternet ports , 2 of them labeled as WAN and 4 as LAN .

I know that an ethernet port is an ethernet port and I can make what I want with it using networking tools such as iptables and so on .

but could I be wrong ??? could it be that I can’t make a port that is labeled as LAN to connect to the internet ??? or visa versa ???

is there some feathers that I would miss doing this ??? and what about using adapters such as rj11 to rj45 adapter or coaxial to rj45 adapter ???

thanks .

What are you wanting in the end that zyxel probably not what you need. Give us what your end goal and requirements are and we will try and help?

Nah, just a config.

1 Like

sometimes you’ll get devices with builtin switches that only have one or two ethernet ports actually connected to the cpu, most soho routers are like that

1 Like

Only if you had no control over the OS you can install on the device. Systems with preinstalled firmware/OS will generally have a setup already that sets whats LAN and whats WAN. Some software will allow for the control over the defaults and some wont. If you buy hardware with nothing on it or flash it with something else usually you set whats what.

1 Like

I want to make my own router with linux OS or maybe pfsense , I’d put a vpn on it , control and reach my sftp server from any where securely , put APs in the house and connect them to it through ethernet and MAYBE later add another connection from my ISP .

that’s why I want to make my own router . put I want to know the answers to my questions about ports

thanks

hmmm . then I guess that’s only some advertising yes ??

No, some products may not allow you to configure “WAN” ports as LAN ports. It’s all down to the software.

1 Like

hmmm thanks alot .

I actually don’t want any pre-installed software . I want to use my own .

If the hardware supports using your own software then they will be available to you as just ethernet ports to set up as you like.

2 Likes

I think it comes with no OS at all

just my two cents, if you have an older pc laying around just add a 4 ethernet port intel nic card to it and a cheap hard drive or ssd and 4 gb of ram. Configure Linux,BSD, what have you and work from there. Buy a nice managed switch and use vlans when you can.

1 Like

actually yeah I know that but I have no old pc … and the prices now is too high to build a cheap one , that’s why I want a system build already . I’m still searching but if you have recommendation please tell me .

also how do you think an ARM based hardware will do ??
I found this …

http://www.banana-pi.org/r2.html

but I don’t know how would it work with high speeds for I have sftp server on my home pc

do you have any avenues for getting an older pc where you are at? An old dell, hp pc would work great with possibly old dual core/quad core.

yeah there is , but the prices is a little too high for what it is . they want about 40 ~ 50 US $ for a mother board and integrated 1 core celeron with nothing else .

that’s why I won’t buy it , I still need PSU RAM and storage :frowning:

that zyxel is 500 us from what the site is showing. I assume buying something across the pond and shipping is out of question?

yeah it is 500 but I’m searching I wont buy this . I put it’s link for you to see the ports the sorted in 2 categories .
anyway I’ll buy the cheapest … I maybe buy some ARM based hardware … some of it is around 100 $ .
and don’t forget , this is new hardware … that is used and so old , let alone power usage and volume

I think you keep your eyes out for decent used PC with at least two nics and spend money on managed switch and unifi access point

1 Like

Used thin clients work well for this. Just add an Ethernet card + USB for OS. Extremely cheap. Sometimes even free…

1 Like