A Quick Look at the RTX 2080ti | Level One Techs

Yes, Tensor flow is awesome. it's so awesome it needs it's own video. for now Puget Systems has got us covered.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/quick-look-rtx-2080ti
2 Likes

Number 8 on the AMD/ RTX2080ti performance scale, worldwide. Granted the RTX2080ti is still great for higher end 4K gaming, but overall, this card still seems like it would have more value for entry level productivity than making the upgrade from a 1080ti. The ray tracing really will be limited to small instances in gaming, perhaps real time cinematics and maybe small enclosed areas. But I still see this system as potentially having some value to CG animators and pre-rendering on a budget. Also, using it for AI learning may be interesting too.

Hello, so I saw you adjusting the overclock for your Gigabyte card using windows, so the questions is, (since I use Ubuntu) is there anyway to overclock this on linux, or if you overclock on windows using a different computer, then will it hold the overclock going back to linux? I recently bought the exact same card as you, so I’m curious.

It’s possible to hack the defaults in bios, but otherwise not sure of a software way

Once the 410 drivers mature, Coolbits might allow you to OC on Linux.

Also, it’s not higher bandwidth with the new version of Displayport. It just adds DSC which visually losslessly compresses the stream 4:1 to fit more data with a low ratio/fast processing speed wavelet compression.

If you were looking at a 2070, I’d recommend the STRIX 2070.

TBH, the Titan V equivalent for Turing already exists in the Quadro RTX cards that were released before the Geforce RTX series. Insane amounts of VRAM on those cards.

Also, since you have 2 2080 Tis, do you want to join Steve and Jayztwocents with their Overclocking Beef? Hopefully you have your NVLink Bridge!

@wendell When you said “deep dive” with games, one that really needs it is F1 2018, which seems to be having issues with low 0.1% frame times in pretty much all the reviews that benchmark using this game, regardless of processor or GPU.

70$ for a PCB is really outrageous. But it would be interesting to see the results. Testing high FPS under 1440p or 4K. Maybe SLI and for good measures slap in an AMD GPU for the Freesync hack.

Also try not to burn your VRAM on the founders edition or what ever is killing them.

Get some Star Citizen going on that! If that was to include PCI pass through and Linux, you would be my hero.

I was trying to push for Steve of GN to play Star Citizen on a Titan V but nobody did. There are people with RTX 2080 Tis playing Star Citizen though.

1 Like