A note to new linux users / new AMD users in linux, about drivers

Still no screen tearing on Windows.

u mad?

yea but did you try [other linux distro]

I did. It works most of the time on Ubuntu if I disable smooth scrolling on Firefox.

yea but did you try [other other linux distro]

3 Likes

I recently, had issues with the default drivers in Ubuntu. But the instant I installed AMDā€™s proprietary drivers all my issues went away. My games were saying I didnā€™t have a proper driver and the desktop would crash and dump me into CLI every now and then. I would have to restart x.

But as soon as I installed the latest AMD driver for ubuntu, it all went away. Probably something I should report to the devs, but I donā€™t know how to do it.

No screen tearing in linux either biiiiiiiish

ae9d25e564a890b203073067907e47ff

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with Ubuntu. It works for me 99.99 percent of the time unless i mess with something thinking iā€™m smart enough yet.

A lot of the ubuntu user base can be summed up in one picture methinks.

Either something works great forever, or is amazing for 10 minutes and then explodes.

2 Likes

Update from me.

I installed Pop OS, and set up Steam with Proton etc. I have installed a few games from my Library and a few worked straight out of the box, a a few work but are a bit glitchy and one or two just did not work at all but the ones that did not work at all I am putting down to the spec of the machine more than anything tbh.

However, as I have a 7950, after doing a bit of research it appears I had to blacklist my radeon driver as its technically a re-hash of a R9 280/290X, it also helps if you install the most recent versions of Mesa and LLVM. Once I did that I was able to actually run one of the games that wouldnā€™t run previously, quite choppy but it ran. Again I put this down to possibly the spec of my machine.

Hereā€™s a link to the Proton requirements page with some info should anyone need it https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Requirements

All in all very pleased :smiley:.

1 Like

Have you tried any GPU pass-through in Deepin? Iā€™m downloading it now, to check it out in a VM. Always nice to test other distros.

I have not itā€™s Debian based so should be very simple

Itā€™s aimed at the user switching from windos or Mac for the GUI user exp aimed at stability

But you can do anything on any distro depending how hard you try

1 Like

Well, if itā€™s based upon Debian, then it would probably be rather easy, if it was needed.

I use a tweaked POP!_OS. Which I kind of like, but when I read about it, it was like, bla bla bla, this is ready with that and that and this, and itā€™s the best system for gaming etc etc etc. LYING PIECES OF S***.

Oh well, I have been thinking of switching to Manjaro, because I am not really that afraid of challanges, but I have never used pacman, and itā€™s been 15+ years since I used Slackware, which probably is more difficult to use than Arch will ever be. (Since you compile everything and have to download most of the things manually, now doesnā€™t that kind of sound like Windows? Memorizing half the internet in order to get your computer up and ready.)

I remember the weeks it took me to tweak the system to my liking, and when I fudged something up, and had to re-install it and do everything over again. Itā€™s much easier now. People should not complain at all over the small tweaks that they have to do in Linux. They are for the most part easier than Microsoft Virus systems.

2 Likes

Iā€™m bumping this for a few users in some threads.