A new X86 CPU that's not Intel or AMD

Yeah I suppose you have a point.

But surely the Chinese government might be interested in support of this or a simmilar venture, as in the short term things like millitary hardware and other government systems could utilise this not super powerful, but still more able then what they currently have. I'm sure Chinese warships would much prefer to be running Chinese chips for there radar, etc (things which require decent processing power and preferred power efficiency) than US, Japanese, Korean, etc silicon due to the security aspect. And in the long term setting up a capable Silicon manufacturer for smartphones, PCs and other consumer devices, meaning long term stable profit, which for a country coming out of its own 'industrial revolution' would be priority?

1 Like

Yeah no shit they are both chinese.. I dont use things engineered by china or having their security features made there ever and trust me I do my due diligence on every single component in my system LOL

AMD invented x64 (AMD64) that is used in Intel CPUs, they cross license the technology to each other.

Sort of they are no longer binarily compatible. Intel modified AMD64 to make Intel 64. yes Intel still used intel 64 and AMD64 still is its base

Here are the differences in the assembly language:

Intel 64's BSF and BSR (Bit Scan Forward and Bit Scan Reverse )instructions act differently than AMD64's when the source is zero and the operand size is 32 bits. The processor sets the zero flag and leaves the upper 32 bits of the destination undefined..

AMD64 requires a different microcode update format and control Model Specific Registers while Intel 64 implements microcode update unchanged from their 32-bit only processors.

Intel 64 lacks some MSRs that are considered architectural in AMD64. These include SYSCFG, TOP_MEM, and TOP_MEM2.

Intel 64 allows SYSCALL/SYSRET only in 64-bit mode (not in compatibility mode), and allows SYSENTER/SYSEXIT in both modes. AMD64 lacks SYSENTER/SYSEXIT in both sub-modes of long mode.

In 64-bit mode, near branches with the 66H (operand size override) prefix behave differently. Intel 64 ignores this prefix: the instruction has 32-bit sign extended offset, and instruction pointer is not truncated. AMD64 uses 16-bit offset field in the instruction, and clears the top 48 bits of instruction pointer.

AMD processors raise a floating point Invalid Exception when performing an FLD or FSTP of an 80-bit signalling NaN, while Intel processors do not.

Intel 64 lacks the ability to save and restore a reduced (and thus faster) version of the floating-point state (involving the FXSAVE and FXRSTOR instructions).

Recent AMD64 processors have reintroduced limited support for segmentation, via the Long Mode Segment Limit Enable (LMSLE) bit, to ease virtualization of 64-bit guests.

When returning to a non-canonical address using SYSRET, AMD64 processors execute the general protection fault handler in privilege level 3, while on Intel 64 processors it is executed in privilege level 0.

1 Like