A new Toshiba HDD MG07ACA14TE clicks occasionally - how bad is it?

It seems I have a problem with a new HDD, but SMART shows that everything is fine and it works OK.

The disk made multiple double-click sounds on the very first power up, with variable length of the pause between the clicks (I cannot upload the sound of the clicks, as a new forum user). When the OS booted the clicks ended, and it seemed like it would not click even when files were read/written to the disk. But occasionally clicks still happen. A short SMART test shows no problems, and I am running the long one now.

Is it a “click of death” case or could it be something less worrying? (Not sure how, but could insufficient power be the reason for the disk to click like that?) Is there something better than SMART to diagnose it?

1 Like

Toshiba has very “vocal” drives, i have an X300 and its the loudest thing in my system by a considerable margin.
See if some other users of this same model report similar behavior, if not, see if you can RMA it.

1 Like

I would say don’t worry about it as I also have toshi drives that seem like they are a moshpit but they still working. Doesn’t mean anything though.

I think its just the actuator smacking into the spindle motor

1 Like

Just got the same drive, clicks from time to time, got me worried. I have a fan on it (modded). Hope i don’t need the 5y warranty. Do you have any updates on it?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.