A mid tower for a dual cpu build

You have to ask around, I'v seen lists for the ES steppings, google Xeon 2650 QEYN, the stepping is a important part. Some of the ES have headaches, they might not work in your motherboard for example.

There is one such list here:

But I don't think it has been updated in a while. The stepping can be found on the Haswell tab, not much info though. Looks like they have no turbo? 105 Watt TDP.

my rig is going to have a Asus Z10PE-D8 WS. i am deciding on the xeons so i can go ahead and order.

I am def not looking at ES. I am new to this so still researching on xeons and the best bang for the buck. its just that there are so many variations on core count and GHz its hard to decide.

there is the E5 2670, 2680, 2690. They seem to have a decent price on them on ebay.

you also have sandy bridge, skylake, haswell, etc. its really coming to a conclusion with all this.

E5 26XX (no v2, v3 or whatever) = Sandy Bridge = socket 2011
E5 26XX v2 = Ivy Bridge = socket 2011
E5 26XX v3 = Haswell = socket 2011-3

If you go with the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS, Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are not an option because different socket.

assuming anything haswell and higher is compatible. like skylake?

Skylake isn't even out for the big platform.
Look for socket 2011-3. Haswell is v3, Broadwell is v4.
Those are your options.

Hi,
I have 2x e5-2699v4 (QHUP) CPUs on my Supermicro X10DAX

I might suggest using v4 over v3:

Broadwell is just a refinement of Haswell, and since they are so similar, it's effectively the same CPU...
Except for when you get into the minute details
Now, I could be crazy... but this is my thinking. A v4 (Broadwell-E) is better than a v3 (Haswell-E) because any microcode bugs/revisions that would be applied to a Haswell-E have been applied to the Broadwell-E. And since these are ES CPUs, you aren't necessarily getting the microcode patches from updates.

Now, I could be totally off base and wrong. But I don't think so. I'm pulling excellent reliability with my system, currently my longest uptime is 38 days and counting. I'll probably reboot around 45 days because I'm due for Windows updates... but you get my drift.

so far the build:

Asus Z10PE-D16 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU
Crucial 64GB Kit (16GBx4) (32 for each xeon)
Intel Xeon E5 2670 V3 ES 2.2Ghz 30MB 12 Core LGA2011-3 120W 22nm Processor CPU
everything else wont take too much research...

with the V3 or V4...i know only ecc ram would be compatible. whats a good one to go for? crusal, kingston...? would 32 gigs of ram be enough for each cpu. also whats a good cpu cooler to go for? If i can get this I can go ahead and order.

I know the E5 2670 is an engineering sample. would this go with my asus z10PE D16? or just stay clear from ES?

I would not buy ES chips.

You will need at least 8 dimms of memory to get quad channel on two CPUs.
Look around on ebay for registered ECC DDR4 2133 for the v3 chips or 2400 for the v4.

It might be that the Broadwell-E Xeon´s not work out of the box on the Asus Z10PE boards.
They might need a bios update firstly before they will work.
I'm not sure if Asus has implemented bios usb flashback as a feuture on those boards.
But i assume they have, still double check it.

do i need to load all memory slots say for a e5 2670 xeon. EX: can i fill in just 2 slots of 8 gb (2 x 8gb) for each cpu? i mean its not necessary you have to fill the slots? say, whats the minium for a xeon e5 2670?

Check the QVL. You pretty much need to buy whatever's been tested and verified to work. There is other stuff out there, but it might not work.

with the E5 2670 it dosent give u a version (v2 v3 v4). they come cheap on ebay, but why dont they state the version. is it assumed to be a V2? if it is since the asus z10ped8ws is a 2011 v3 socket is it compatiable?

nevermind! just found out the E5 2670:

if it has 8 core its a v1
if its 10 cores its a v2
these are for the 2011 socket so they are not compatible with 2011-3

Dude, Y U no read? o0

hey mah bad . i did read and appreciate the info. i was basing my post on the E5 2670 on ebay where they dont give a version number so i didnt know that if an E5 2670 8 core is v1 cuz it never says "v1." you are absolutely right about 26xx but i was more specific about the E5 2670 on ebay.

What a nice compact build! Like to try it with my X10Dai. Seems that 3 standoffs in the lower left corner matching with the board. What did you do with the not-fitting standoffs? Can they be removed/relocated easily, or are they weld on the case? Not fully understood your explanation: “ziptie two corners and use some motherboard standoffs upside down”. Thanks for any help!

The standoffs are removable, I think it has a spike in the middle instead of a normal one. In one or two corners you have to improvise a little.

It’s not that complicated, you don’t screw the standoff into the case but just screw two of them together. That way you don’t have it actually mounted to the case but it will keep it’s distance when you plug something in.

1 Like

Done! Many thanks noenken for introducing your build! That really helped a lot. Although mine looks a bit more messy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, as long as it works… :wink:

You might be able to straighten out the GPU. Is there something near the PCIe power connector where you could hook zipties or a string or something? The mesh on the top is perfect as a support.

Right, when looking at the photo, I also realized how tilted the GPU is. It has been on this board for a while. I put some support between the PSU and the GPU for now. Rigging it on the top is a bit tricky, because the second heat sink is in the way. Might get a smaller PSU to clean up the space in the lower right corner…