A long irrational story Requested by kewldude007

Continuing the discussion from Post Your Home Network Setups:

Yes kewldude007@ you may, but it's a long story.

It started with a 50 box 4 port 10/100 router, more than a year ago, and my ISP started selling 250/250 and 500/500 for the equivalent of 75 and 150 USD, so time to upgrade that 10/100 router, but off the shelf router's seemed shitty or/and expensive for what you got, so i googled "how to build a router" and ended up on Tek Syndicate's video "pfSense: How to Turn an Old PC into an Epic Router" and started researching pfSense, so i ended thinking if im spending hundred's of Dollars on Hardware, i should make absolutely sure i wouldn't have compatibility issues, and what better way than buying from the pfsense store, i ended up looking at "pfSense C2758" it could do Gigabit up and down, so room to grow, but it was 1500USD and after the tax fucker's have had their hands on it here it would be closer to 2500USD, fuck, so some more googleing and i found out it was a rebrandet "Supermicro SuperServer 5018A-FTN4" which i Sourced in the uk, for £472.07 700 800 US, one router down,

Now i just need a switch, so i started researching switch's and i knew i wanted a couple Server's, so at least 16 ports, so cisco is supposed to be the shit, and i found a Cisco SG500-28 locally and it has a web gui all the features 26 Gigabit port's and a awesome lifetime warranty so i grabbed it.

In the meantime, i was thinking how to Wire it all, i was initially going to just run a few cables from my disktop to the TV, but that idea kept nagging me, i wouldn't be able to move my disktop, or the TV, neither could i setup a access point or a printer without re cableing, that would get old fast, so i decided researching how they did residential cableing, it turns out they don't, so i adopted a commercial model instead, where all the cable's go out from a patch panel in a central location, so i needed something to mount the patch panel to, and i lookt at some little 6u wall mounted cabinet's, but those barely fitted what i all ready got, then i started looking at 20u and 42u rack cabinet's, and i did some research, i found out these things are actually very space efficient, and can hold a tonne of shit quite literally, well maybe not a tonne of shit, but a tonne literally, and i thought well i could also stick my PC in the rack, and just run some cables to my disk, plus i know two web developer's that might need some racks pace at some point, and so i found a local importer of Eaton, and Ordered this INSANELY awesome Eaton 42U rack, and three months later in february 2015 it appeared on my doorstep.

Oh yeah we were also building the "Server room" and the adjacent room, and we just barely got finished with the whole thing before 2016.

some pictures

adjacent room
It's a 100 year's old house so these wall's are the straightest it has ever seen.

8 Likes

Awesome

That is pretty boss man.