A little teaser of what is to come :)

The problem with that solution is if you need to develop against some physical hardware that you can’t pass into the VM.

3 Likes

Agreed 100%. This is something I stress to junior devs all the time; and across teams I always get them on-board to stick to a reference code-style as well as editor ‘settings’.

There’s nothing worse than having 4-tab folks messing up a perfect 2-space indented code-base #ugh :roll_eyes:

Bah… good point!

Why not continue the Transformer naming convention? lol

This seems more like a OSS version of Optimus to me. It is essentially the same idea, Intel iGPU framebuffer is nothing but part of the system memory.

So, as Nvidia call their project Optimus, maybe this project should be named as Sentinel? Or Rodimus? I just can’t help myself. lol

I cringe at the thought of the origins of the name involving NVidia in any way… such an anti-opensource and despicable company. I have both personal and technical reasons I feel this way about NVidia, sorry :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think we all share that sentiment

8 Likes

Good thing CSGO runs on linux natively.

I am Aussie!

There are literally dozens of us!

Good old Aussie innovation! That’ll convert rather nicely then.

1 Like

I cringe at the thought of the origins of the name involving NVidia in any way

I understand nvidia sucks. I just thought naming could be less stressful, think about bumblebee and primusrun.

Anyway, I’ll take my words back.

I’m amazed at how good this all sounds. I haven’t been this excited since my divorce.
You’ve certainly found the right community for support, FeelsGoodMan.
Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

I’m totally going to have to try this… *checks ebay for a cpu upgrade* Christmastime is nice… I’ll see if I can pitch in to the gofundme.

1 Like

I suggested Theia as project name yesterday.

http://www.theoi.com/Titan/TitanisTheia.html

So far 11 upvotes :thinking: :sunglasses:

Do with it as you wish though. It’s your code @gnif :slight_smile:

I’m only eagerly waiting for the first code release to get to test something.

Currently have a Ryzen 1700X system with Dual RX580 at hand I would test on. But I’m rather busy for the time being.

1 Like

Chicken and egg problem. Also it was always buggy which is why no one used it in the first place. The world has changed a lot in the more than 5 years since they stopped using it. If they could deliver unity and hw accelerated adobe suite under modern Linux they will find their market has changed. Whether that new market is large in comparison to the existing market remains to be seen however.

3 Likes

Starscream. COuld be cool :rofl:

I earlier threw 50 AUD at you. Hope it helps :smiley: and now I guess I actually genuinely have a reason to upgrade my system. Ryzen here I come.

Honestly, you deserve every single penny you get since you have proven yourself to be a very resourceful person.

Really?! I knew that Valve would kick you out of the game session, but I find it a little extreme that Valve would resort to a VAC ban for playing on a VM. I mean, wouldn’t this also affect people who use cloud services to run Window game in the cloud?

Hey, donated, keep up the good work!

Hear, hear!

2 monitors are good for productivity but yes it cuts the cost of the required setup.

@gnif On your second update, you said that the latency was caused by the AMD GPU that Wendel was using on the host.

Does that mean monitors with different response times won’t cause any issues?

2 Likes

@bsodmike
You can put the hardware into your development workstation and rely on your backups (e.g. have a cron that sends snapshots to a different machine over ssh)
…or you could have a slave/inferior machine with said hardware that you network boot e.g. have it load a kernel and a root image over http, and then deploy and run rest of the test over ssh, and debug using kgdb or just by printing if you have a serial port attached.

There really is no magic, it’s just hard to find the setup that suits what you want to work on. Messing up the bios/firmware happens rarely.

3 Likes