A little teaser of what is to come :)

Sold my old workstation and looking to upgrade. Extremely interested in this project as I do a lot of work on old industrial 3D printers and run a lot of virtualization to get old stuff running as well as Win based software for controlling printers. A lot of that software asks for GPU so this project is just perfect - thank you!

Just wanted to ask if there is any recommended hardware at this stage?.. From videos on the channel I got impression that Ryzen 7 and Vega 64 is a go-to setup. But I also see a lot of work done on TR4 and 2066 socket systems as well as nVidia.

I know its a bit difficult question - but for me it dosnt really matter when it comes to performance - I just want a decent system which will have the highest chance of being stable with this project.

Im considering 1800X, i7-8700k, 1900X, i7-7800X with ASRock Taichi board and 32 or 64GB. Since price is almost the same would really appreciate advice on the platform and if AMD or nVidia is recommended.

1900X and a RX 580 8GB host card should do you very well. 32GB with a quad channel kit should get you up to 3200Mhz.

Considering stuff like Solidworks, a Radeon Frontier edition for the guest would be a good card.

Whoops. I spent this whole time thinking Twitch’s Bitrate limit was still 3500kbps… It’s now 6000kbps even for beginning starter accounts. I can do 1080p60 in this case. I’m gonna post the VOD of that for a new quality comparison at 1080p60.

VOD of Looking Glass with 1080p60 streaming settings:

Thank you! Looks like it will be 1920X since price on 1900X is almost the same here in Norway.
By the way, how much work does host GPU? Could I use RX 480 8GB? or maybe even 290 4GB?

1 Like

I recommend for Wayland compatibility a RX 580, and also don’t forget about Xserver overhead, so a RX 580 should be good for that.

Is there a difference in compatibility between the 580 and the 480? I was under the impression they were essentially the same card.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s the same silicon, just a little bit more mature and a litte bit higher clockspeeds. It’s fully possible to flash a 580 bios in a 480.

2 Likes

bit full of himself sadly enough

Excuse me? That’s not what I want to hear as constructive criticism. That wasn’t even constructive. :expressionless: It’s like you defaulted to what a random YouTube commenter would say instead of thinking about how to make the content better and contributing that.

I did it in “typical youtuber style” so if you have a problem with that, leave CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM that adds to the conversation rather than a low effort opinion. I also did it live with zero prep, and people that aren’t smart if I had spoken geek would have had all the terms go way over their heads. Be thankful I’m spreading the word of Looking Glass to more than just geeks. Gamers looking to free themselves from Microsoft, but still wanting to stream and use split timers will find this setup a perfect alternative to having MS spying on you.

Fair enough, didn’t see it was your stream. So here is what I most disliked:

quote: “Which its kind of a little bit over most peoples heads” and “something not many people can do”

Sure, it’s not the click and go solution, and you need a bit of knowledge to get it to work, but getting it to work doesn’t make you a genius or something. Just good at reading the howto and good at googling error messages.

Be thankful I’m spreading the word of Looking Glass to more than just geeks.

At this moment you have to be a geek to get it to work, so I’m not sure why this is important at this very moment. Sure it’s cool to show it off, and I for one want to get rid of MS as much as you do. But the tech isn’t there yet for mainstream.

And the last thing: How did you manage the audio? I’m having trouble getting the audio to work with lookingGlass. It works untill I open the LookingGlass client

Thank you, that was the response I was looking for.

I used a Zoom H5 as a USB ASIO interface and the Line-in on the host OS’ access to the Realtek onboard HD audio to take the mixed mic and desktop audio to pipe into OBS.

I also did a exact 50/50 split of cores between the guest and the host. If you do a weird combination, some cores will need to do more work kernel side to make sure the interrupts get to the VM or the host in time. Leave the first half of your cores for the host, and the second for the VM.

Are you streaming from the Linux machine for x264 encoding? Probably a noob question but why aren’t you just streaming using NVENC on the Windows guest? In the end I never saw that much of a difference after YouTube/Twitch gobbled up the quality.

To have linux for 100% of the process while windows is just for the gaming/providing the frames.

That’s actually really clever, thanks :+1:

We need a license for that. Nvidia has only licensed that to Steam and ShadowPlay at the moment.

And I don’t think they’ll be happy with us asking for a license to use their software in a way that’s against TOS.

I can use Nvidia’s hardware encoding in OBS, no problem (Edit: in Windows that is, hence my question. Why involve the host at all?). I know what you mean, though. Maybe it goes under a different name.

I don’t remember the details, but there was discussion about it during development. It’s been discussed before. Let me see if I can find it.

NvFBC is the technology, not NVENC. NvFBC is copying directly from framebuffer. NVENC is encoding. We don’t actually encode the data on the client though. We just pass the raw frame to the shared memory.

EDIT: I completely misunderstood the question.

He’s not streaming on the Windows guest because he wanted to showcase Looking Glass.

It’s also because you cannot passthrough Blackmagic Capture Cards and I wanted a 60fps facecam using a GoPro Hero 3 and a Intensity Pro. That’s possible on the host with no additional latency or interrupt conflict.

Also, the streaming resources (even though it’s NVENC) are pinned to isolated cores and a isolated GPU on the host, while the game is pinned to isolated cores and a isolated GPU on the guest. Best setup for those that don’t want to do dual system streaming.

1 Like

That alone makes it a very appealing option. If this really goes mainstream with streamers, then it sounds like the right audience.