Return to Level1Techs.com

A little teaser of what is to come :)

Did you configure with ivshmem-doorbell? The deprecated ivshmem device is not compatible.

Yes
qemu:commandline
<qemu:arg value=’-device’/>
<qemu:arg value=‘ivshmem-doorbell,chardev=ivshmem,vectors=1’/>
<qemu:arg value=’-chardev’/>
<qemu:arg value=‘socket,path=/tmp/ivshmem_socket,id=ivshmem’/>
</qemu:commandline>

I take that back, so on a whim I started the exe as administrator and it worked perfectly

So the session is started but I am unable to view anything from the newly created window.

You should not need to run the exe as administrator. What OS are you running? Windows 10?

Windows 10

The error:

DeviceIoControl Failed:658

Doesn’t make any sense, the driver never returns 658 (0x292), did you copy & paste that line or possibly type it with an error?

actually nevermind it seems to be running on windows now but the ubuntu client just shows a blank screen

It will be blank because it’s not getting a feed from the windows program. Run it in foreground mode and ensure that it states Using DXGI. Also what GPU are you using in the guest?

Just ran it and I am getting DeviceIoControl Failed :548
Failed to get IVSHMEM memory

548 = ERROR_DEVICE_ALREADY_ATTACHED

You have two instances of the program running.

ok so I remove looking glass from run and am successfully able to run the process on foreground
It says it is just using DXGI

However I am still not getting a feed from spice

I am using the following command on linux:
./looking-glass-client -p 5901

Please paste, not type, the client log in here.

./looking-glass-client -p 5901
[I] main.c:578 | run | Looking Glass (a5-0-gb93aca796c)
[I] main.c:654 | run | Initialized OpenGL
[I] ivshmem.c:153 | ivshmem_connect | RAM Size : 16777216
[I] spice.c:341 | spice_on_common_read | notify message: keyboard channel is insecure
[I] main.c:781 | run | Waiting for host to signal it’s ready…
[I] main.c:785 | run | Host ready, starting session

Update to alpha 9, both the client and the windows program.

Edit: Out of curiosity, where did you get A5 from (or get told to use it)… this is about the 6th time now I have had to tell people to update from A5.

also no clue hwere I got A5 I downloaded both a8 and a9 like a few hours ago, I also installed the ubuntu host part earlier this week

So here is a guide for the ubuntu 16.04 users:
1.upgrade kvm to 2.6.2, use this repo: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jacob/virtualisation

1. If this does not work, use the 2 steps:stackoverflow.com/questions/38799366/using-ivshmem-with-libvirt-virt-manager

2. comment out line 15 /etc/apparmor.d/snap.core.3440.usr.lib.snapd.snap-confine

Please let me know if you guys have any questions

just out of curiosity, is it possible to get audio from the looking glass client?

you can pass audio back to the host but its a seperate procedure https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Passing_VM_audio_to_host_via_PulseAudio

Audio’s not the focus of Looking Glass at the moment as it’s just a framebuffer relay. Everything else is the responsibility of QEMU and will need to be configured and working separately. Actually, Audio’s a very touchy subject in QEMU as it tends to be less than stellar. So LG to adopt a rather immature and painful stack is less than ideal at the moment.

It might be?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdvlk-radeon-vulkan&num=1

Read the paragraph on the first page.

I still have no idea what actual GPUs support the feature…
But that thing would be the dream.