A lesser blog

Ok, I am going to be moving into a house.

This will be a living blog on things I will be working on.

Goals:

• Network and security system.

• Windows. Not MS but physical need to upgrade to double pane with a windstorm cert.

• Greenhouse and Aquaponics

• BBQ (possible outdoor kitchen setup)

• Get a Dog

• Server (game, media, and storage)

• Solar power plus backup battery.

Ok let’s go:

Edit: 7/15/19
Network installed, security system installed and HVAC controls installed.

Need to make some repairs to my fence before getting a dog.

Not much to go into window wise found some double panes I like but this will take time.

Green house Aquaponics. This will have to wait till fall, way too hot to build it. Been doing a lot of reading tied up between catfish and tilapia fish wise. Both are good for my climate. Could go straight greenhouse to get some food going and bring in Aquaponics later. Still debating.

Would like to build a small out door kitchen

Thinking a Gig Green Egg smoker and grill combo and using Homebio gas for a burner and to make compost with. That should cover my wants in that category. Need to find a source of reclaimed wood and stone to build the kitchen.

Dog, will post puppy pictures when it happens.

Server, thinking unraid running Plex and Nextcloud. Then have a Windows VM using in home streaming. This will replace my dear bad and gaming machine. Will be doing more in home streaming testing after I move. Of course, I will have a general purpose Debian or FreeBSD VM, because you never know when you need it. Thread ripper looks good for that but will have to evaluate closer to buying the parts.

Solar that will take a while but it would be great to pair with a PHEV and battery backup. Will have to pay cash because doing it on credit hurts the ability to sell the house.

Lawn stuff and tools are already sorted so not much to worry on that end.

Link to music stuff:

8 Likes

Great minds :+1: The two best operating systems on the open market, right now.

Curious to see how this pans out. Interested in doge, server, greenhouse, and cable management :wink:

1 Like

I am a full wireless heretic. Might expand the Orbi system so it has an outdoor module, may want that for controller(s) in the greenhouse.

1 Like

Would love to hear more about the puppy!

We have wireless electric fence, not 100% perfect

Fortunately the place has a fence about 9k sqft yard so dog should have plenty of room.

Thinking German Shepherd or Rott depends what the breeders have around me.

1 Like

Border collie :wink: is one breed that comes to mind.

I definitely also applaud the move for debian. Just the sheer amount of software support will make a ton of stuff and admin easier.

Lol I would say people wanting to wire things nowadays are heretics. Wireless is simply gotten way more efficient at dealing with stuff. I was gonna say are the orbi … WiFi 6? But then thought most of your stuffs gonna run on ZigBee save the hubs so it doesn’t matter anyways

Decided to separate the modem and router. The AC3000 has better wireless backhaul over the AC2200 modem/router combo.

The Debian VM is general purpose stuff tbh. Granted I could roll my own Debian setup with ZFS, YUNOHOST and a Windows VM. That would reduce the amount of VMs to manage…

1 Like

Why not try that? Less management = max laziness = better right?

Added a link to my music thread.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/88085/16910?u=lesser

Got the modem because I am done with rental fees and my closing date got pushed back due to the appraiser being lazy.

good choice on the modem. Until Comcast offers much past say 600 mbps reliably… wont make a difference if you got an SB8200 or not :slight_smile: … plus its ridiculously expensive

Spectrum is stuck at 150mbs where I am moving so plenty of room to grow will upgrade when the speed catches up.

You should just wait even when the speed catches up. DOCSIS 3.1 is around the corner… so I would wait until they roll that out before buying a modem again :slight_smile: OFDMA will change things alot on cable networks but it will take them a while to upgrade

My guess will be years so not worrying.

I would most certainly say you are accurate in that statement :grin:

Ok Closing date should be next Friday got the ISP and all the other Utilities set up. This looks like it is finally happening.

1 Like

Ok router is here.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/88085/16980?u=lesser

Going to start wireless backhaul and see how it does. Might go wired if necessary

When I start on the greenhouse and shed going to get an outdoor module so I can have sensors installed

Wireless backhaul will have slightly increased latency but so long as you place them half their range away from each other it should work just fine

Do the orbis have a dedicated backhaul channel or no?

Yes they have a dedicated 5ghz ac channel.

1 Like