A grounded View from a AMD User on the potential consequences of the Nvidia GPP

ATTENTION: Please do not produce hate speech and if possible remain objective, even if the emotions boil up a bit :wink: Thank you!

Hello everybody,

surely you have all heard of the Nvidia GPP. Primarily, the debate over the GPP is limited to the fact that in future no AMD graphics cards will be sold under the same gaming line / brand under which Nvidia cards will be sold. So that “the end user knows what he buys”.

My question as an old AMD fanboy is: Is that the end of the world for you? Do you continue to buy AMD graphics cards even if they are NOT GAMING ?! I’m curious about your opinion!

Of course I do not want to deprive you of my insignificant point of view. I already had some video cards:

• Riva TNT2
  • Geforce 2
  • Geforce 4 MX? I think …
  • Club3D Radeon 9800Pro
  • MSI GT (? X?) 7800
  • XFX HD 5770
  • XFX R9 280X
  • Sapphire RX 560
  • Zotac GTX 970
    My heart has somehow stuck to the AMD / ATI cards, only the current market situation, I bought a used GTX 970 on eBay.

None of the cards just mentioned was from a gaming series! Did that cause that I could not play with it? Of course not! :smiley:
As a rule, the whole stamping of the products with the gaming tag really annoys me! Moody design, useless lame software that pollutes my computer, stupid LED blinking - what is configured by the the otherwise useless software …

If I have the choice and the specifications and performance of a “none gaming” graphics card allow it, I’ll probably always choose the “non-gaming” model! But maybe its just me old AMD fanboy… I just do not need fancy stuff on a graphics card?!

Personally, I find the now beginning trend towards more grounded designs and slightly larger coolers at MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte welcome!

MSI: Has anyone ever looked at the MSI Armor MK2? The card is almost 1:1 the Gaming X model, I think only missing 4-5 aluminum fins in the heat sink and of course, the fan shroud is much simpler. Otherwise, the card looks great! The first MSI card for 5 years that I really like!

Gigabyte: Ever looked at the RX Vega 56 and 64? The Aorus branding is missing, yes … But this crazy cooler on the card is extremely promising, right? In addition 3x DP and 3x HDMI outputs! Awesome!

ASUS: Has anyone ever heard of the ASUS Dual RX 580? No? This card is suspiciously similar to the ROG Strix RX 570 from the cooler design. The fans also look very similar. What looks different of course is the fan shroud, which is much simpler. The fact that the ROG Strix RX 580 with its 3x fan + Monster Heatsink thermally is somewhat under-challenged was indeed shown in numerous tests, for instance: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f14/asus-rog-strix-radeon-rx-580-oo-1171272.html#5.4.1
So? Why not shrink the cooler and lower the price?

You notice … I as an old AMD guy … I somehow do not need the whole GAMING Klimbim. I want value-for-money! If the cooling performance does not fit, an Arctic Accelero GPU cooler will be built on the card! They are not pretty but powerful and can be reused on different cards.
Maybe is this also an AMD user trait to be resistant to gaming marketing? Maybe do not we just need all this colorful stuff?
Maybe “we” are responsible for the fact that MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS were so fast signing the GPP? If so, I’m not too bad about it. :wink:

Anyway, I welcome the new „less gaming“ gaming freedom in the AMD ecosystem and hope for lower AMD card prices in the future after the whole Mining Chaos has smoothed out a bit. Finally! grounded designs of AMD graphics cards again! :smiley:

Cheers from Germany!
Your Marf :slight_smile:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nvidia embraces competition in it’s very own way

There is already a topic on this. Post have been moved there