A great CPU for a GTX 1080 (Need to marry off this fabulous GPU to a worthy CPU)

Clearly someone didn’t know what they had or didn’t care.

A co-worker of mine wanted to upgrade to the ti, and he had barely gotten the 1080 recently. He wanted to have 140+fps to satisfy his 144hz monitor. I immediately said yes.

He did not even use the card that much.

the only bad thing is that the board only supports up to 2666

“supports” and “is capable of” are two different things.

My 6700k only supports 4.0GHz or whatever it comes from the factory with with, but I’m running it at 4.7GHz with an H100i.

1 Like

Without an “OC.” XMP is technically an overclock. You’ll be fine generally. Just go in the BIOS and set it to the speed and it should work fine.

1 Like

X370 board is the way to go. I like the third full size PCIe slot of my Asus Prime X370 Pro but I guess ASRock is a solid choice. VRM looks ok at least.

I am running G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 at 2933 and it works fine. Don’t pay stupid money for FlareX or TridentZ or any other “fancy” memory. Just dial in some numbers once instead of using XMP and save a good chunk of cash.

Change of plans my wife does not like the red on the motherboard, so much so that she is willing to put in 100 dollars of her own to get the Asus ROG with the black and gun metal ascents.

Win? hahah

I have a 7700k and yes it’s good but I think the 1700 might be the best deal.

tech deals and according to the asus motherboard QVL only lists flare x, some corsair vengeance , and some other g skill as supported 3200 mhz memory. What have your experience been with the AM4 platform and with ram running at 3200 mhz.

Was this supposed to be a reply to me or did you hit the wrong button? Because what you’re asking for is exactly what I wrote in the post you replied to. xD

I don’t know how to ask my question. :confused:
Just some guy on youtube: TechDeals was stating that the only RAM that runs well with AM4 platform is the flare x and two other vendors listed on the QVL from Asus.
Keep in mind that this was during the beginning of the launch so I am not sure if they rolled out patches since then.
I know that you said it working fine with you, but other than messing with the xml was there other difficulties?

i got 7 monthbold b die gskill im gonna be using on my exteeme board if i get it

You made a good choice… Hmm the motherboard… you can get away with B350 chipset you know … if its just a 1080 and a 1600x with some fast memory… AMD ryzen is very power efficient lol doesnt need anything beefy unless your looking for something future proof… then x370 and a ryzen 1700

look for one of these

Seriously if your going ryzen 5 1600X this binned chip will give you a cherry to overclock with

Yeah I have decided that I am going with the Ryzen 7 1700x with the Asus Crosshair 6 x370

It’s going to be a long term build. It is a build that i will continuously work on.

Considering that I had the opportunity to get a 1080 for 200 I will in the future buy an other one.